Install to Jaz Drive
Brian Marstella
2018-01-16 00:37:48 UTC
I've seen a few discussions on other sites that a Jaz SCSI drive can be used to install to a 1 GB disk. Being the impatient type, I have a power supply coming and already have a drive, cable, and about 15 disks. Does anyone have experience using this with a IIGS and Apple SCSI card?
w***@gmail.com
2018-01-16 02:12:17 UTC
I used one with the IIgs and a ramfast SCSI card about 20 years ago when the Jaz was first marketed. Had terrible luck with disk and drive reliability. Iomega replaced the dead disks and drives for free but I soon got tired of that and traded them for something. I believe they improved reliability since.
David Schmidt
2018-01-16 02:57:09 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
I used one with the IIgs and a ramfast SCSI card about 20 years ago when the Jaz was first marketed. Had terrible luck with disk and drive reliability. Iomega replaced the dead disks and drives for free but I soon got tired of that and traded them for something.
Agreed - I help lots of people get data OFF their Jaz disks. Then I
punch a hole through the platters and throw them away. The only thing
worse was their Zip drive.
Hugh Hood
2018-01-16 03:53:50 UTC
Post by Brian Marstella
I've seen a few discussions on other sites that a Jaz SCSI drive can
be used to install to a 1 GB disk. Being the impatient type, I have
a power supply coming and already have a drive, cable, and about 15
disks. Does anyone have experience using this with a IIGS and Apple
SCSI card?
Brian,

Here's a thread from a while back on using a Jaz with both a RamFAST and
an Apple HS SCSI card. I think you may find it helpful.

<http://www.macgui.com/usenet/?group=1&id=205392#msg>

Steve Hartz started that thread, Wayne Stewart contributed, and I think
Glenn Jones actually had some success using a Jaz with the Apple card.
Hartz still comes by this group occasionally. I seem to recall helping
him write an AppleWorks macro to wake the Jaz from sleep at one time, so
I guess he got it to work. Maybe he'll see this and comment.

I've never used a Jaz, so I can comment directly. Sorry.

But, unlike Schmidt and quite a few others, I've had good results using
Iomega's Zip 100 drives for over 20 years now.

Sure, I've had some drives fail over the years, but I've kept enough NIB
spares to keep the party going. I never lost any data due to a drive
error, fortunately.

That said, all SCSI Zip and Jaz owners, myself included, should probably
switch over to the SCSI2SD device or the Artmix FuzinMonster SD, and
step into the 21st century. :-)

Hugh Hood
David Schmenk
2018-01-16 16:10:43 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
But, unlike Schmidt and quite a few others, I've had good results using
Iomega's Zip 100 drives for over 20 years now.
SNIP
Post by Hugh Hood
Hugh Hood
You <CLICK> are <CLICK, CLICK> lucky <CLICK>.

I have one SCSI Zip drive I am nurturing along before it goes to the great Bernoulli Box in the sky :-(
David Schmidt
2018-01-16 17:52:37 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
Hugh Hood
You <CLICK> are <CLICK, CLICK> lucky <CLICK>.
Oh man, a chill just went down my spine. Nothing like the sound of
ANOTHER drive biting the dust, destroyed by a disk read error. I got
tired of eBaying for more 100's all the time, so I now have a stack of
internal 750 drives that seem to be a little more resilient. Maybe the
heads are a little lighter so re-seeks aren't as physically destructive.
But Zip technology needs to die in a fire.
Hugh Hood
2018-01-17 05:16:00 UTC
David,

I realize that this 'advice' is probably offered a little late in the
game to be considered helpful, and, moreover, you may already know it
since you are quite a thorough fellow, but anyway, here goes:

Iomega had quality issues with some of the wall wart power supplies
supplied with the external Zip 100s. It seems that as the wall warts
aged, they lost the ability to regulate closely their 5 VDC output
voltage when put under load.

Thus, some errors were caused by drives that 'worked', but that were
being driven by an under voltage condition.

I had one or two of these, and found that a new 'modern' well-regulated
PS cured the issue. Others on the 'net reported the same, IIRC.

Whether this was the issue with one or more of the units you had is
anyone's guess, but I thought I'd mention it to you if you haven't
already incinerated all your external Zip 100 drives. ;-)

Hugh Hood
Brian Marstella
2018-01-17 22:14:41 UTC
Thanks for the tip on the power supplies. Turns out I have a second drive stashed that I'd forgotten about so I believe I'll acquire a modern power supply for it as you say and maybe do some testing.
Jerome Vernet
2018-01-16 21:41:01 UTC
Post by Brian Marstella
I've seen a few discussions on other sites that a Jaz SCSI drive can be used to install to a 1 GB disk. Being the impatient type, I have a power supply coming and already have a drive, cable, and about 15 disks. Does anyone have experience using this with a IIGS and Apple SCSI card?
I'm using a FAST SCSI Apple card and a ZIP 250M drive with my Apple
IIgs. Work perfectly, faster than with the Apple HD40 I use also.

I tried a JAZZ drive, without problem. Be carefull, you can only have 32
Mb partitions, not more...

JV
Brian Marstella

JV
Brian Marstella
2018-02-02 09:07:10 UTC
Well, it's entirely possible to install GS/OS to a 1 GB Jaz drive and boot from it on an Apple IIGS. It takes a while to setup but doesn't require anything special. I can detail the procedure for anyone interested. I can also provide a couple of pics to prove it...
geoff body
2018-02-03 00:11:24 UTC
Hi Brian, does the Jazz drive suffer from going into a sleep mode if left idle for a while (30 minutes or longer).

GeoffB
Brian Marstella
2018-02-03 11:43:37 UTC
I'll have to do some testing. I'm not sure if I've left the system idle that long.
Jurai
2018-02-10 16:57:42 UTC
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 03:43:37 -0800 (PST), Brian Marstella
Post by Brian Marstella
Post by geoff body
Hi Brian, does the Jazz drive suffer from going into a sleep mode if left idle for a while (30 minutes or longer).
GeoffB
I'll have to do some testing. I'm not sure if I've left the system idle that long.
Yes it does.
-- Jurai
Brian Marstella
2018-10-09 23:50:10 UTC
Post by Brian Marstella
Post by geoff body
Hi Brian, does the Jazz drive suffer from going into a sleep mode if left idle for a while (30 minutes or longer).
GeoffB
I'll have to do some testing. I'm not sure if I've left the system idle that long.
Yes it does.
-- Jurai
Well, finally had some time to get back to the thread. I've been tinkering quite a bit the last few days and I've found that although the Jaz goes to sleep and GSOS complains about the drives being unavailable, cycling the power and waiting about 30 seconds restores things as if nothing had happened. All partitions back online and ready to go.

Still planning to get a good external SCSI drive, though, that won't feel the need to doze.