ADTPro 2.1.0 released
David Schmidt
2020-11-26 18:29:51 UTC
This release was largely about time marching on and serial libraries not
in the Java realm.  I've done a rip-and-replace of rxtx for jssc which
helps us going forward, but is slightly troublesome looking back: it's
not as broad in platform/version coverage.  So if you're fairly recent
with OSX/Linux/Windows, you should be in good shape - but older versions
are running into "can't get there from here" with the stoppage of Java
releases.  I love OSX 10.3 as much as the next guy, but now that means
using an older version of ADTPro.  Java 1.6 is the absolute minimum here.
2.1.0 - November 26, 2020
 * [Server] Switched out rxtx in favor of jssc for hardware
   serial port access - this gets us past Oracle's borking of
   rxtx JNI library on Windows
 * [Server] Better "change working directory" behavior on
   Windows - sometimes it would simply ignore your request, a
   pet peeve of mine
 * [Client] Special characters and too-long filenames confused
   the file picker - addresses GitHub issue #53
 * [SOS Client] Using Steve Nickolas' font loading technique,
   reduce the size of /// bootstrapping drivers by several K
Oh, I guess it would be helpful to drop in a link to where it is:
https://adtpro.com/
barana
2020-11-27 03:39:31 UTC
Post by David Schmidt
[...]
Well Done David,
I would ask, In due time, when prodos 2.5 and the extensions to the filing systems have been made eg max file size increased to 4 GB and volume ceiling increased to 2TB that is foretold...
in light of us OSX users and the new snow leopard PPC release "Impossible Cat"(PPC useable again?)
that you would consider earmarking going back to the elderly versions and updating them in the future when needs be.....

Great release!
Tempest
2020-11-27 15:48:28 UTC
So does this mean that I can see disk images with long file names now? Before if the disk image name was too long it just wouldn't show up in the file picker so I kept having to rename them to something shorter.
David Schmidt
2020-11-28 05:07:55 UTC
No, the names are still truncated as before, but if you pick it - the server knows which one it is and serves it. Before, the name wouldn't match exactly so it would just fail. So if you have infinitely long filenames with the important bits at the end, this still doesn't help you a lot - but if you know the order they're in, you can still successfully choose which one you want without *having* to rename them.
Tempest
2020-11-28 17:34:35 UTC
So does this mean that I can see disk images with long file names now? Before if the disk image name was too long it just wouldn't show up in the file picker so I kept having to rename them to something shorter.
No, the names are still truncated as before, but if you pick it - the server knows which one it is and serves it. Before, the name wouldn't match exactly so it would just fail. So if you have infinitely long filenames with the important bits at the end, this still doesn't help you a lot - but if you know the order they're in, you can still successfully choose which one you want without *having* to rename them.
Great! That works for me.