ProTERM Special Characters
Tony Toon
2020-11-07 09:14:05 UTC
I'm in the process (a long process) of putting up a BBS and while it'll be
running on linux, I'd like for it to support apple ii clients.

When I used PT3 on my IIe, I notice it had a "ProTERM Special" option
which appeared to make the mousekeys glyphs available.

Are there any guidelines out there on how to configure a bbs to display
those?
fadden
2020-11-07 15:48:30 UTC
We had a discussion about MouseText -> Unicode a few years back: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.apple2/8VTjK-kMZXo/CSia974tCQAJ

Here's the conversion table used by CiderPress: https://github.com/fadden/ciderpress/blob/9de0b421476ff3ab3dca5b5c0de6f4ec0d909a90/reformat/ReformatBase.cpp#L746

IIRC, the Windows monospace font didn't have entries for all of those, so it came out a little funny looking.
Steve Nickolas
2020-11-07 23:00:19 UTC
Post by fadden
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.apple2/8VTjK-kMZXo/CSia974tCQAJ
https://github.com/fadden/ciderpress/blob/9de0b421476ff3ab3dca5b5c0de6f4ec0d909a90/reformat/ReformatBase.cpp#L746
IIRC, the Windows monospace font didn't have entries for all of those,
so it came out a little funny looking.
They're in Unicode officially now. XD That includes the Running Man and
its IIgs replacements.

-uso.
fadden
2020-11-08 00:23:22 UTC
Post by Steve Nickolas
They're in Unicode officially now. XD That includes the Running Man and
its IIgs replacements.
TIL!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MouseText#Inclusion_in_Unicode shows them. Looks like a mix of BMP and "Symbols for Legacy Computing" (https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1FB00.pdf).
Kelvin Sherlock
2020-11-07 22:18:09 UTC
See the ProTERM Owner's Manual, appendix E. In short:

control-N: normal mode
control-O: inverse mode
control-P: mouse text
-------