Webber web browser released
Ewen
2020-12-12 11:15:33 UTC
R.I.P. S.I.S
Long live Webber

Webber is a powerful new web browser for the IIgs, that lets you surf
the web and download files. Webber requires Marinetti to be installed.
Webber is the successor to the now discontinued SIS. It uses the same
interface as SIS, but there the similarity ends. Unlike SIS, Webber is a
stand-alone application, compatible with System 6.0.1 through 6.0.4, and
can download any web page that is accessible from an http:// connection.
It does not handle https:// secure connections, scripts, or style
sheets.

Check out what Webber can do for you:
• View web pages
• Send the results of interactive Forms
• Download linked files
• Load and display HTML files from disk
• Keeps up to 256 Cached pages in a navigation Stack
• Editable History list
• Bookmarks
• Keep & View optional transcript Logs
• Supports Proxy connections
• Supports password protected web pages
• Print pages

Get it from: https://speccie.uk/software/webber/
D Finnigan
2020-12-12 16:59:54 UTC
Post by Ewen
R.I.P. S.I.S
Long live Webber
Webber is a powerful new web browser for the IIgs, that lets you surf
the web and download files. Webber requires Marinetti to be installed.
This has been sorely needed for a long time! Thanks for making this a
reality. :-)

-DF
D Finnigan
2020-12-12 22:17:14 UTC
I found a little bug in Webber which results in the URL in the address bar
being erased:

1.) Enter a URL in address bar.
2.) Press Return. Text is highlighted.
3.) Press Command-period to stop the connection.
4.) Highlighted URL turns to a [?]
--
]DF$
The New Apple II User's Guide:
https://macgui.com/newa2guide/
Ewen
2020-12-13 07:44:51 UTC
Post by D Finnigan
I found a little bug in Webber which results in the URL in the address bar
1.) Enter a URL in address bar.
2.) Press Return. Text is highlighted.
3.) Press Command-period to stop the connection.
4.) Highlighted URL turns to a [?]
I can't repeat that, as Cmd-period is not active at that point. If you
do press it, you should get the Beep sound.

Pressing Return is the same as pressing the green Go button, and the
correct way to stop is to press the red Stop button.

Did you read the PDF instruction manual?

Cheers - Ewen
Hugh Hood
2020-12-13 20:40:08 UTC
Post by Ewen
Webber is a powerful new web browser for the IIgs, that lets you surf
the web and download files.
Very nice! Thank you for continuing to 'deliver the goods', pandemic be
damned.

I'm happy to report that Webber runs very swiftly under the GSPort
emulator on Windows 10, and combined with your Uthernet LL, Daniel
Krue's TreeHugger Port Driver, and the soon-to-be-released Direct
Connect PostScript Printer Driver, is able to print directly to a
networked printer on the host Windows machine.

I did notice that there was some overprinting of the first character on
each of the links in a printed file, but such is so very minor. I
haven't yet investigated the cause, but will examine the PostScript file
for clues.

I'm curious. Are you friends with Clive Mason, whose photography graces
the cover of the Webber manual?

Hugh Hood
Ewen
2020-12-14 08:27:48 UTC
Hugh,
Post by Hugh Hood
Very nice! Thank you for continuing to 'deliver the goods', pandemic be
damned.
Good to hear from you. It actually gave me something to do while in
self-isolation for the last nine months!
Post by Hugh Hood
I'm happy to report that Webber runs very swiftly under the GSPort
emulator on Windows 10, and combined with your Uthernet LL, Daniel
Krue's TreeHugger Port Driver, and the soon-to-be-released Direct
Connect PostScript Printer Driver, is able to print directly to a
networked printer on the host Windows machine.
Excellent...
Post by Hugh Hood
I did notice that there was some overprinting of the first character on
each of the links in a printed file, but such is so very minor.
If you copy that part of the screen display, paste it into a text
editor, and if necessary select the text and change it into Shaston, you
will then see what is actually there in the TextEdit record.

In the original html for many pages, there will be a title such as this:

<title>Apple II Techincal Notes Index</title>

It is held like this at the start of the text in the TextEdit record in
an invisible font so it does not show on screen:

[*Apple II Technical Notes Index*]

If there is a ttile, that will be what is coming through when you are
printing. I am not stripping anything out when you print, so any of the
embedded links, or anything else in the invisible font, may be seen. It
seems that the Postscript process is printing the font as a visible
font, but with the width of about one pixel!

The invisible font is actually just a font with every character having a
zero width. It was the breakthrough for me all those years ago when SIS
was written, to find that a font like that could hold as much data as I
wanted to, yet not show on screen. This allowed me to create the
"clickable" links, as otherwise, it would not have been easy at all to
make a working web page display.

Maybe in future updates, I can massage the text when you print, to strip
out any text in the invisible font.
Post by Hugh Hood
I'm curious. Are you friends with Clive Mason, whose photography graces
the cover of the Webber manual?
I don't know him. Having decided on the name, and being a fan of Formula
1, Google Images found that picture for me...

Cheers - Ewen
Hugh Hood
2020-12-14 16:35:46 UTC
Post by Ewen
The invisible font is actually just a font with every character having a
zero width. It was the breakthrough for me all those years ago when SIS
was written, to find that a font like that could hold as much data as I
wanted to, yet not show on screen.
How very clever! I never even considered such a thing.

Thanks for the detailed information. Even at this late stage of the game, I
still manage to learn a few new tricks.

Hugh Hood
Ewen
2020-12-15 07:59:05 UTC
Hugh,
Post by Hugh Hood
How very clever! I never even considered such a thing.
I had been trying to build a display with clickable links, as the other
computers do, so when I discovered that trick, it made it so easy. I
also use hard spaces within the invisible text, so the visible and the
invisble, can be selected with a double click. There seem to be no side
effects on the IIgs itself, but as you found, there are when you go to
print the display.
Post by Hugh Hood
Thanks for the detailed information. Even at this late stage of the game, I
still manage to learn a few new tricks.
I believe in never stop learning, keeping your mind young, even if your
body tells you something else!

Cheers - Ewen
I am Rob
2020-12-15 03:34:22 UTC
Post by Ewen
[...]
Very nice. Can I make a request? Although you already say one can load and display HTML files from disk. I would like a stripped down version that doesn't require Marinetti, Proxies, Bookmarks, History, Cache, Logs, passwords, and loads other than the HTML filetype .etc.

Something that I can just enter commands in a text file with bold facing, centering, fonts, printing and so forth still enabled.
And clicking on a link will scroll you further down in the file to a preset page or header, or a link to load native graphics into the web page. Mostly will be used just as a glorified text viewer that doesn't have Control characters for different formats, but uses the HTML commands.

I started a web viewer (not a browser :) for the IIe that displays text in dbl hi-res mode. It has some links capability clickable with a mouse, underline, bold face. Would like a program that runs under GSOS for the same purpose. And will eventually try to make a hi-res version that can have all three programs compatible with the html commands.

Thanks if you can do this.
Ewen
2020-12-15 07:59:06 UTC
Post by I am Rob
Very nice. Can I make a request? Although you already say one
can load and display HTML files from disk.
I would like a stripped down version that doesn't require Marinetti,
Proxies, Bookmarks, History, Cache, Logs,
passwords, and loads other than the HTML filetype .etc.
There is no HTML file type, and if you just want to parse and view html
files from disk, without all the rest of the features that a web browser
involves, you have been able to do that with Spectrum for many years.
Chris Vavruska's HTMLView FinderExtra will also do that. You can get
both on my website:

https://speccie.uk/software/spectrum/spectrum-downloads/
https://speccie.uk/software/htmlview/

Spectrum, and many other Text Editors, will load most any type of file.
In Spectrum, hold down the CA key as you open a file into the Editor,
and it will load any file type. This is all explained in the Spectrum
PDF manual.
Post by I am Rob
Something that I can just enter commands in a text file with bold
facing, centering, fonts, printing and so forth still enabled.
And clicking on a link will scroll you further down in the file to a preset
page or header, or a link to load native
graphics into the web page. Mostly will be used just as a glorified text
viewer that doesn't have Control characters\
for different formats, but uses the HTML commands.
I started a web viewer (not a browser :) for the IIe that displays text in
dbl hi-res mode. It has some links capability
clickable with a mouse, underline, bold face. Would like a program
that runs under GSOS for the same purpose.
And will eventually try to make a hi-res version that can have all
three programs compatible with the html commands.
Thanks if you can do this.
First of all, none of the Tools available for the IIgs at the moment can
handle text and embedded graphics, so you would have to write your own
to do that.

As to the kind of viewer you would like to use, that it not something
that I would adapt Webber to do, so I am afraid you would have to write
that yourself. If you need to parse HTML, Tool 130 will do that for you:

https://speccie.uk/software/html-tool/

Webber can already be used to navigate pages of text and local links for
HTML files loaded from disk, just don't add any external links if you
don't want to go online, but as the primary reason for Webber is as a
web browser, Marinetti must be present what it starts up.

Cheers - Ewen