Gumball
Du Hast
2017-05-16 02:44:29 UTC
Playing the Gumball 4am version. I can't get off level 1. Do you need to make the quote number in both bins?

Game ends with zero score every time I play....
Marco Verpelli
2017-05-16 13:48:06 UTC
Post by Du Hast
Playing the Gumball 4am version. I can't get off level 1. Do you need to make the quote number in both bins?
Game ends with zero score every time I play....
I've pretty much tested this version. It works as it should. Maybe this can be of help:

The game can be played with a joystick or keyboard.

<Ctrl-J> switch to joystick mode
<Ctrl-K> switch to keyboard mode

When using a keyboard:

S move bins left
D stop bins
F move bins right
[Space] switch in-tube gates
E increase speed
C decrease speed

[Return] toggle target sighting

U I O move the target sight
J K L (for when the bombs
M , . start dropping)

When using a joystick:

buttons 0+1 toggle target sighting

<Ctrl-X> flip joystick X axis
<Ctrl-Y> flip joystick Y axis

Other keys:

<Ctrl-S> toggle sound on/off
<Ctrl-R> restart level
<Ctrl-Q> restart game
<Ctrl-H> view high scores
<Esc> pause/resume game

If you need to cheat:

level quota trk/sec/byte
1 8 11/08/B8
2 18 11/08/B9
3 29 11/08/BA
4 40 11/08/BB
5 50 11/08/BC

Marco.
qkumba
2017-05-16 15:55:38 UTC
Post by Du Hast
Playing the Gumball 4am version. I can't get off level 1. Do you need to make the quote number in both bins?
Game ends with zero score every time I play....
No, you need to hit the quota overall, but using more bins can help there (and later levels are so fast that you'll need to use them).
I suspect that you haven't emptied the bins on the right-hand side, though...
It's just not about collecting the balls in the bins.
Du Hast
That's it. I was looking for a manual online and couldn't find anything. Thanks!
cybernesto
2018-01-01 20:07:09 UTC
If I save my high score once the game becomes unusable. I have tested it on an Apple //c with the SD floppy Emu and on an Apple IIgs using a real disk. Has anyone seen this issue? If I reboot instead of saving my high score the disk boots and the game works as expected.
qkumba
2018-01-03 04:59:40 UTC
It looks like a stupid bug in my code. I am hoping for a confirmation from another tester, but I suspect that I know already where the problem lies.
Sorry, not my best effort once again.
cybernesto
2018-01-05 12:38:02 UTC
Looking at the write up I can only admire your and 4am's efforts. I'm afraid the problem lies in a community that got used to emulators. I noticed this issue some time ago but I thought it was again because I'm the only one testing these releases on a //c but then my 2gs showed the same behavior so I had to report it. Thank you so much for all what you do for the community. I don't think we can do enough to compensate you but hopefully more people will get to test and play these releases on real hardware.
Marco Verpelli
2018-01-06 17:31:26 UTC
Post by cybernesto
Looking at the write up I can only admire your and 4am's efforts. I'm afraid the problem lies in a community that got used to emulators. I noticed this issue some time ago but I thought it was again because I'm the only one testing these releases on a //c but then my 2gs showed the same behavior so I had to report it. Thank you so much for all what you do for the community. I don't think we can do enough to compensate you but hopefully more people will get to test and play these releases on real hardware.
You're not the only one, I own a //c and the "green" monitor.
I usually try almost everything on real iron, but such a good game is worth playing in full (with full=6) colours, that's why I've never noticed the bug.

Marco
qkumba
2018-01-17 19:00:18 UTC
I'm still trying to find time to fix this.
In the meantime, if you can run from a CFFA or similar, you might check the "extras.zip" which contains my ProDOS port.
It's not an official release yet (it was a technology demo) but I believe that it works...
qkumba
2018-01-18 20:11:05 UTC
Okay, updated version is in Asimov /incoming.
The "glue" code called seek directly, without turning on the drive first.
Given the difficulty of achieving high scores, we didn't notice.
cybernesto
2018-01-27 13:41:30 UTC
Awesome! Thank you so much for this. My kids love the game.