GSPlus and Windows 10 (access to IIGS Control Panel?)
Add Reply
paul.s.m...@gmail.com
2020-12-29 17:00:43 UTC
I can't find a way to get to the IIGS Control Panel when running GSPlus on Windows 10..... Alt is OpenApple but on Windows 10, Alt+ESC is a hotkey for switching programs. So Control-Alt+ESC is intercepted and doesn't get sent to GSPlus. Crtrl+ESC is already a hotkey for bringing up the Windows start menu, so using F1 as a substitue for OpenApple also doesn't work.

Is there a way to use GSPlus on Windows 10 (and stil have access to IIGS Control Panel?)

Thanks
I am Rob
2020-12-30 01:16:14 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Is there a way to use GSPlus on Windows 10 (and stil have access to IIGS Control Panel?)
Thanks
Other methods:

Holding Option by itself on startup to enter the Control Panel.
Booting into GSOS gives access to the control panel under the rainbow apple.

All control panel settings are changeable through the Battery RAM using the MISCELLANEOUS Tools call even under Prodos 8.

The two most changed settings in the control panel are usually the screen colors and the speed. Both can be accessed by directly storing certain values to certain softswitches.
paul.s.m...@gmail.com
I am Rob
2020-12-30 21:08:40 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Thanks, yes the Control Panel NDA is always a good option, but I do have CDA's I like to use and I don't seem have a way to get to them in GSPlus under Windows until I solve this.
Ah! You want access to the Desk Accessories menu and not just the Control Panel.

I have also been trying to access the DA menu from a program, without having to press OA-CTRL-ESC as well.
I get lost in the GS ROM and have not found the address to enter the DA menu yet.

Maybe someone more skilled at following GS code can help?
paul.s.m...@gmail.com
Jeff Blakeney
2020-12-30 13:48:19 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
I can't find a way to get to the IIGS Control Panel when running GSPlus on Windows 10..... Alt is OpenApple but on Windows 10, Alt+ESC is a hotkey for switching programs. So Control-Alt+ESC is intercepted and doesn't get sent to GSPlus. Crtrl+ESC is already a hotkey for bringing up the Windows start menu, so using F1 as a substitue for OpenApple also doesn't work.
Is there a way to use GSPlus on Windows 10 (and stil have access to IIGS Control Panel?)
Thanks
Ctrl-F1-F3 will open the classic control panel. F1 is an alternate key
for Open-Apple and F3 is an alternate key for ESC.
paul.s.m...@gmail.com
Jeff Blakeney
2020-12-31 16:08:21 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Thanks, yeah the F3 alternative is oddly missing from GSPlus (it is
present in GSPort). I prefer GSPlus over GSPort for a variety of
reasons but this is a real blocker -- I am surprised, given the
lineage of GSPlus, that nobody has raised this before (maybe so many
of use prefer Mac to Windows?)
I tested it it GSPlus to make sure I remembered it correctly before I
posted.

I then checked to see if I was running an older version and it turns out
I've got v0.13 installed. I downloaded v0.14 and tried it out and it
looks like F3 has been made into a screen shot key.

Windows already has the ability to take screen shots so I don't need a
key to do it. I looked at the v0.14 Change Log and didn't see anything
I need in it so I think I'll keep using v0.13 for now.
Hugh Hood
2021-01-01 03:47:23 UTC
Add me to those who'd like to see F3=<escape> (re)implemented on GSPlus
under Windows 10.

I've been a pretty dedicated GSPort (under Windows 10) user for several
years now, and am very happy with it.

But, I thought I'd give GSPlus a try on Windows 10, just to evaluate the
experience. I know Kelvin Sherlock has contributed to the GSPlus project
and he does some great work.

IIRC, not only was reaching the CDA <OA-CTRL-ESC> menu problematic, but
so was reaching the AppleWorks TimeOut <OA-ESC> menu. {Or maybe it was
using the <SA> macros that gave the problem}. That was pretty much a
deal breaker for me. I may be the last guy on earth who is still
enamored with AppleWorks, but hey, we each have our own favorites, I'm sure.

I'll admit that having to use the F1/F2/F3 keys takes a little getting
used to, but after a while it's no big deal. GSPort seems to run at
about 250 MHz on my machine, and it's ability to use Port 6501/6502 to
output IIGS serial is really nice, as is its emulated Uthernet card.

OTOH, every now and then I'll run Bernie on my old PPC Mac under
Classic, and don't need to use any special replacement keys. And even on
that G3 (1GHz) machine, Bernie runs at 160 MHz, which is pretty
impressive considering that Bernie is over 20 years old.

Hugh Hood
paul.s.m...@gmail.com

Jay -blank-
2021-01-03 11:01:19 UTC
I checked my OS X 0.14 version. The release build of 0.14 has the [ ] swapped. But I just compiled the github source (very simple just need homebrew) and the brackets are typing correct.
Scott Alfter
2021-01-04 16:38:35 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
OTOH, every now and then I'll run Bernie on my old PPC Mac under
Classic, and don't need to use any special replacement keys. And even on
that G3 (1GHz) machine, Bernie runs at 160 MHz, which is pretty
impressive considering that Bernie is over 20 years old.
Hmm...I just got my G4 Mac mini running again a while back. It even
dual-boots Mac OS X and Gentoo Linux now, which I had never previously set
up on it. With an M.2 SATA SSD (in a suitable adapter) replacing the hard
drive, it's even a little bit faster than it was. Maybe getting some
emulators running on it would be a way to get some more use out of it. :)

_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
I am Rob
2021-01-04 18:51:24 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Is there a way to use GSPlus on Windows 10 (and stil have access to IIGS Control Panel?)
You don't say under which OS you want to access the control panel under, but here is a quick way under Prodos8 or DOS 3.3.

CLC
XCE
REP #30
LDX #1105
JSL E10000
SEC
XCE
RTS

Note: This does not preserve the text screen, so will have to capture and restore text screen if needed.
Steve Nickolas
2021-01-04 19:07:31 UTC
Post by I am Rob
CLC
XCE
REP #30
LDX #1105
JSL E10000
SEC
XCE
RTS
TIL.

Slightly tweaked:

CALL -151
800: 18 FB C2 30 A2 05 11 22 00 00 E1 38 FB E2 30 60
BSAVE DOCDA, A2048, L16

-uso.
I am Rob
2021-01-05 15:08:31 UTC
I wasn't sure if the m,x bits of the processor register get automatically reset to zero with SEC XCE. Good to know they don't.
I am Rob
2021-01-05 15:27:21 UTC
Post by Steve Nickolas
CALL -151
800: 18 FB C2 30 A2 05 11 22 00 00 E1 38 FB E2 30 60
BSAVE DOCDA, A2048, L16
I wasn't sure if the m,x bits of the processor register get automatically reset to zero with SEC XCE. Good to know they don't.
After a further test, it looks like the m,x bits do get set to 1 with SEC XCE which is normal for emulation mode.
But the monitor LIST routine looks for REP and SEP and adjusts the monitor list for correct output. Any code after SEC XCE still shows up as 16-bit registers. From that stand point then it is best to include the SEP #$30.
I am Rob
2021-01-05 19:41:42 UTC
Post by Steve Nickolas
CALL -151
800: 18 FB C2 30 A2 05 11 22 00 00 E1 38 FB E2 30 60
BSAVE DOCDA, A2048, L16
I wasn't sure if the m,x bits of the processor register get automatically reset to zero with SEC XCE. Good to know they don't.
Meant to say "reset to one for emulation mode".

This test shows they do get reset to one.

CLC
XCE
REP #$30
SEC
XCE
PHP
PLA
STA $6
RTS

The byte in $6 shows that the m,x flags are automatically reset to one, which is normal for emulation mode.

The SEP #$30 is not required for program mode, but without it, it does mess up the monitor listing as the monitor automatically corrects the listing for 8 or 16-bit registers when it sees either REP or SEP.
paul.s.m...@gmail.com