Sorry for the spam!
Bobbi
2020-09-13 20:04:10 UTC
I accidentally spammed a few people from this newsgroup from my Apple //e.

I forgot I was experimenting with email composition yesterday and responded to a bunch of Usenet posts by email. I forgot to clean out my OUTBOX before sending a mail for real just now.

The good news is SMTP65 is still working with my latest changes :)

All the best,
Bobbi
Hugh Hood
2020-09-14 02:32:47 UTC
Post by Bobbi
I accidentally spammed a few people from this newsgroup from my Apple //e.
Not a problem. It was a pretty slow email day, actually.
Post by Bobbi
Date and Time Format
This allows the format of the modification time and creation time
fields in ProDOS directories to be converted from the legacy ProDOS
format (ProDOS <2.5) to the new date and time formats introduced in
ProDOS 2.5. These new formats extend the range of dates that may be
represented, in a backwards-compatible manner. Sortdir also allows
conversion from the new ProDOS 2.5 date and time format back to the
legacy format.
That sounds pretty neat. I do have a couple of questions:

1. Will that utility allow one to select all the files on a volume in
one fell swoop (including drilling down into directories) in order to do
the conversion?

2. Some of us never adopted Apple's Y2K method of rolling the year bits
back around to zero after reaching 100. So, for example, the year 2020
on my files has the year bits = 120, rather than 20.

When I did this (the late Glen Bredon's recommendation), the year 2028
seemed like a long way away. Now, it doesn't seem so far.

The question then is, what will the conversion utility do with date bits
between 100 and 127?

It's obvious you've put a lot of effort into your several projects. Thanks.

Hugh Hood
Bobbi
2020-09-15 00:15:00 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
1. Will that utility allow one to select all the files on a volume in
one fell swoop (including drilling down into directories) in order to do
the conversion?
The utility in question is Sortdir, which is a kind of swiss army knife.
Sortdir works recursively - there are three options as it stands: 1)
Process all files in the specified directory, 2) Process all files in a
tree recursively, or 3) Whole volume mode, which enables some other options
such as free list checking.

Sortdir sorts directories, does date/time stamp conversion, can uppercase
or lowercase filenames and also does a thorough but slow disk integrity
check.

It is kind of a perpetual work in progress and the UI sucks. I will improve
that at some point ...
Post by Hugh Hood
2. Some of us never adopted Apple's Y2K method of rolling the year bits
back around to zero after reaching 100. So, for example, the year 2020
on my files has the year bits = 120, rather than 20.
When I did this (the late Glen Bredon's recommendation), the year 2028
seemed like a long way away. Now, it doesn't seem so far.
The question then is, what will the conversion utility do with date bits
between 100 and 127?
I would have to take a look at the code to be sure, but it is easy to add
other date formats or corrections ... the code is all C. I am happy to add
other date conversions.

The ProDOS 2.5 date format may not be set in stone yet, so there is a
possibility that will change, in which case I have a few different tools I
will need to update.
Post by Hugh Hood
It's obvious you've put a lot of effort into your several projects. Thanks.
You're welcome. I am having lots of fun.

Incidentally, this is the first public Usenet post made with emai//er,
running on my Apple //e. Fingers crossed it is okay!!

All the best,
Bobbi
David Schmidt
2020-09-15 13:22:29 UTC
On 9/14/20 8:15 PM, Bobbi wrote:

[something about something, I dunno. TL;DR]

Woohoo! Congrats!
Bobbi
2020-09-15 21:10:00 UTC
Post by David Schmidt
Post by Bobbi
Incidentally, this is the first public Usenet post made with emai//er,
running on my Apple //e. Fingers crossed it is okay!!
Woohoo! Congrats!
Thanks David!!

I am still working out some of the rough edges, but Usenet/NNTP support
will be in the next version of emai//er! All the news code is in a Git
branch at the moment but I am getting close to the point where I can merge
it into 'master' and stabilize for release. Thinking the next release is
going to be 2.0.

All the best,