Where there ever any MUDs that ran on Apple II?
Jeff Ramsey
2018-01-03 07:11:56 UTC
All of this BBS adventuring has me reminiscing about playing in Multi-User-Dungeons or MUDs. For those who do not know, these were the very first multi player online games, and were largely text or ascii based.

I have started to research this, but I have so far not found any MUD software written for an Apple II. I did find DDisk, which was able to link up to 8 users in a using 7 modems and the local console. Was there ever any software written for the II that was for hosting a MUD?
Jeff Ramsey
2018-01-03 20:40:05 UTC
Obviously, that title should have been ‘Were’ not ‘Where’...
Du Hast
2018-01-04 01:33:51 UTC
The Land of Spur was a multi-player(not at the same time) BBS game that ran under ACOS. It's the only thing I can think of besides The Complex III which I'm not sure was multiplayer.
Doede Boomsma
2020-09-30 17:14:57 UTC
On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 2:11:58 AM UTC-5, Jeff Ramsey wrote: >
All of this BBS adventuring has me reminiscing about playing in
Multi-User-Dungeons or MUDs. For those who do not know, these were the
very first multi player online games, and were largely text or ascii
based. > > I have started to research this, but I have so far not found
any MUD software written for an Apple II. I did find DDisk, which was able
to link up to 8 users in a using 7 modems and the local console. Was there
ever any software written for the II that was for hosting a MUD?
The Land of Spur was a multi-player(not at the same time) BBS game that
ran under ACOS. It's the only thing I can think of besides The Complex
III which I'm not sure was multiplayer.
The Complex III was AFAIK Multi-player, but not at the same time and
IIgs-specific.

--Doede
Andrew Roughan
2020-10-01 12:52:47 UTC
Post by Doede Boomsma
Post by Du Hast
It's the only thing I can think of besides The Complex
III which I'm not sure was multiplayer.
The Complex III was AFAIK Multi-player, but not at the same time and
IIgs-specific.
The Complex II & III were both multi player but not at the same time.
The host ran on a IIgs, but the client could be anything that had client
software: IIgs, IIe, Mac, PC

Regards
Andrew
can...@gmail.com
2020-10-04 13:52:27 UTC
Post by Jeff Ramsey
All of this BBS adventuring has me reminiscing about playing in Multi-User-Dungeons or MUDs. For those who do not know, these were the very first multi player online games, and were largely text or ascii based.
I have started to research this, but I have so far not found any MUD software written for an Apple II. I did find DDisk, which was able to link up to 8 users in a using 7 modems and the local console. Was there ever any software written for the II that was for hosting a MUD?
There wasn't much on the Apple II platform.
Now that said, a lot of BBS systems ran some sort of pseudo one-at-a-time D&D adventures involving the Dungeon Master along with whatever users signed on to play, but obviously the interactions would necessarily have been one way, one caller, at a time. I guess like a mail chess game only involving modems.
The Darkfire-2000 variant has a D&D "engine" built into it, which uses the message editor as the basis for multi-player D&D style gaming involving hte dungeon master and call-in users. I have such a system at The Brewery BBS, but there is no critical mass in existence for wifi modem call-ins to warrant turning it on. When there are only a dozen or so regular callers it makes it impossible to even start a D&D game on a BBS.
Darkfire-2000 is downloadable from the GBBS archive (gbbs.applearchives.com) but it's buggy so you'll have to do a bit of code cleanup to make it work reliably.