Troubleshooting emai//er
Robert Allred
2020-09-19 22:44:38 UTC
Trying to narrow down where my error might be.

I followed the instruction for setting up an email gateway found here: https://github.com/bobbimanners/ip65/blob/emailler-v1.00/README-gmail-gateway.md although installed on my server running Ubuntu.

Following setup instructions here: https://github.com/bobbimanners/ip65/blob/master/README-emailler.md

Running POP65.SYSTEM to set up gets me this error consistently:
Reading EMAIL.CFG - Ok
Setting slot - 5
Initializing Uthernet II - Ok
Obtaining IP address - Ok
Connecting to XXX.XXX.X.XXX:110 - Ok

<+OK Dovecot ready.
USER myserverusername
<+OK
PASS ****
<-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed.

Expected '+OK' got '-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed.

Am I correct that the Apple II is successfully connecting to my server, but Dovecot is rejecting the password?
b***@gmail.com
2020-09-19 18:34:00 UTC
Hi Robert,

Yes, you are correct. It looks like you are connecting to Dovecot okay,
but it is rejecting your password. Maybe try to telnet to port 119 and try
it that way. I assume you have set your password in EMAIL.CONF. The
sample file has a line which says 'passwordgoeshere'.

All the best,
Bobbi
Robert Allred
2020-09-20 01:43:32 UTC
Thanks!

Still getting the Authentication Error from POP65.SYSTEM, but Telnet seems to be working (well, it's not finding the messages, but at least it lets me log in).

$ telnet 192.168.1.193 110
Trying 192.168.1.193...
Connected to 192.168.1.193.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot ready.
user serverusername
+OK
pass serverpassword
+OK Logged in.
stat
+OK 0 0

Can POP65.SYSTEM handle spaces in passwords??

-Robert
Post by b***@gmail.com
Hi Robert,
<snip>
Robert Allred
2020-09-20 15:11:34 UTC
Narrowing it down.

I am running v1.1 of emai//er.

Postfix, Dovecot, Fetchmail all running on Ubuntu server. Not getting any major or recurring errors. Each piece seems to be functioning correctly (mostly--Dovecot is only showing emails that I sent to myself during testing and not any of my Gmail messages that Fetchmail is supposedly getting, but that's for later).

I can Telnet into Dovecot from the MacBook Pro--login, check status, read a message, and safely disconnect. Works as expected.

I cannot Telnet in on port 110 from the Apple II--using TELNET65 I get:

Connecting to 192.168.1.193 Ok
+OK Dovecot ready.

...and a solid curser. No further input accepted until I hit ctrl-reset or it times out. If I connect on port 25 (to test Postfix), I get:

Connecting to 192.168.1.193 Ok
220 Allred-Macmini ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)

...and a solid curser. No further input accepted until I hit ctrl-reset or it times out.

I am able to connect to a80sappleiibbs.ddns.net:6502 and interact with the BBS using TELNET65, so I know that it's working.

In POP65.SYSTEM, still getting the AUTH error when it tries to submit my password.

The next step is going to be to try to set up a mail app on MBP to try to login to Dovecot.

-Robert

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 6:43:34 PM UTC-7, Robert Allred wrote:
<snip>
Robert Allred
2020-09-20 17:11:28 UTC
Set up Mail.app on the MBP with the credentials for the Ubuntu mail server (using exactly what I am using on the Apple II). Able to login, send and receive mail, etc., as expected. Still getting the AUTH error on the Apple II.

Decided to try changing my password to eliminate characters except for letters and numbers. Updated EMAIL.CFG with the new password. Broke everything. Even Telnet from MBP. :sigh:

Going to take a moment and start from the top...

-Robert
Post by Robert Allred
Narrowing it down.
I am running v1.1 of emai//er.
<snip>
b***@gmail.com
2020-09-20 15:16:00 UTC
If you can't login from the Apple II using TELNET65 then there is something
amiss, but I am not sure what. I think once you get that working, POP65
will probably work too. Keep us posted!

All the best,
Bobbi
Post by Robert Allred
Set up Mail.app on the MBP with the credentials for the Ubuntu mail server
(using exactly what I am using on the Apple II). Able to login, send and
receive mail, etc., as expected. Still getting the AUTH error on the Apple
II.
Decided to try changing my password to eliminate characters except for
letters and numbers. Updated EMAIL.CFG with the new password. Broke
Going to take a moment and start from the top...
-Robert
Post by Robert Allred
Narrowing it down.
I am running v1.1 of emai//er.
<snip>
.
b***@gmail.com
2020-09-20 15:16:00 UTC
Hi again Robert,

One more thought. Have you taken a look at my 'email Gateway' document
at the following URL?

https://github.com/bobbimanners/ip65/blob/master/README-email-gateway.md

I am using Dovecot as a POP3 server and I had to enable plain text
authentication in 10-auth.conf and 10-master.conf. The URL above has the
details.

All the best,
Bobbi
Post by Robert Allred
Set up Mail.app on the MBP with the credentials for the Ubuntu mail server
(using exactly what I am using on the Apple II). Able to login, send and
receive mail, etc., as expected. Still getting the AUTH error on the Apple
II.
Decided to try changing my password to eliminate characters except for
letters and numbers. Updated EMAIL.CFG with the new password. Broke
Going to take a moment and start from the top...
-Robert
Post by Robert Allred
Narrowing it down.
I am running v1.1 of emai//er.
<snip>
.
Robert Allred

.
Robert Allred
2020-09-21 02:45:29 UTC
Upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit hardware and from Ubuntu 16.04 to 20.04 as a clean install. Followed the guide to set up the email gateway. Telnet on both ports 25 and 110 from MBP works great.

TELNET65 just hangs trying to connect to dovecot or postfix.
POP65.SYSTEM gives me something different than before:
Connecting to 192.168.1.20:110 - Ok

<220 Allred-Server ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu 20.04)
Expected '+OK' got '220 Allred-Server ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu 20.04)'

[Press Any Key]

Which quits to Prodos.

The only entry in the log on the server is:
Sep 20 19:38:41 Allred-Server postfix/smtpd[3863]: connect from unknown[192.168.1.45]

EMAIL.CFG contains
192.168.1.20:110
serverusername
serverpasswordnospaces
NODELETE
192.168.1.20:25
apple2.local
/PRODOS322MG/PRODUCTIVITY/IP65
/NEW.DOCUMENTS/EMAIL
***@gmail.com

Going to stop for the night and go watch the end of the Seahawks game.

-Robert
.
b***@gmail.com
2020-09-21 17:05:00 UTC
Hi Robert,

You are seeing '220 ...' that looks like SMTP to me, not POP3?

It looks like you are connecting to your SMTP server using POP65!! POP65
is for POP3, SMTP65 is for SMTP. You should have a POP server listening
on 110 and SMTP on on port 25.

POP65 does the following:

- Open connection
- Expect '+OK...' (ie: anything beginning '+OK')
- Send 'USER username'
- Expect '+OK...'
- Send 'PASS password'
- Expect '+OK...'
- Send 'STAT'
- Expect '+OK nnn mmm' (nnn is number of messages, mmm is bytes)

All the best,
Bobbi
Post by Robert Allred
.
.
Robert Allred
2020-09-23 20:40:10 UTC
I took a bit of a break and am trying again. _Thanks_ for all the help--and if anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Bobbi, you're right--POP65 is trying to connect to the SMTP server--and /var/log/mail.log shows the attempt to connect--but I have no idea why! I have verified that dovecot is listening on port 110.

I can Telnet from my MBP on port 110 and it connects correctly:
Roberts-MacBook-Pro:~ localusername$ telnet 192.168.1.20 110
Trying 192.168.1.20...
Connected to 192.168.1.20.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready.
user serverusername
+OK
pass serverpasswordinplaintext
+OK Logged in.
stat
+OK 187 14109971
quit
+OK Logging out.
Connection closed by foreign host.

And the following is logged in /var/log/dovecot.err
Sep 23 13:25:22 pop3-login: Info: Login: user=<rallred>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.1.201, lip=192.168.1.20, mpid=41671, session=<+LUI4gCw0vDAqAHJ>
Sep 23 13:25:27 pop3(serverusername)<41671><+LUI4gCw0vDAqAHJ>: Info: Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/187, size=14109971

While on the screen of TELNET65 I see:
Initializing UthernetII
Obtaining IP address 192.168.1.45

Hostname (leave blank to quit)
? 192.168.1.20

Port num (leave blank for default)
?110
Connecting to 192.168.1.20 ok

+OK Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready.

Disconnected

...and the cursor is frozen and the Apple II accepts no input at all (outside of a ctrl-reset) until it disconnects, and then TELNET65 asks for the next server address.

The following error is logged in /var/log/dovecot.err:
Sep 23 13:06:22 pop3-login: Info: Disconnected: Inactivity (no auth attempts in 180 secs): user=<>, rip=192.168.1.45, lip=192.168.1.20, session=<UWofngCwzOjAqAE

Incidentally, TELNET65 also freezes if I connect on port 25 after I get the SMTP connection message...

Mail.app on MBP can connect just fine using the same settings I have in EMAIL.CFG, so--unless I'm missing something, it looks like the relay is working right on the server and the problem lies on the Apple II side. Going to download a clean IP65 disk image and work from that rather than my Booti card image--see what that gives me.

-Robert
Post by b***@gmail.com
Hi Robert,
You are seeing '220 ...' that looks like SMTP to me, not POP3?
It looks like you are connecting to your SMTP server using POP65!! POP65
is for POP3, SMTP65 is for SMTP. You should have a POP server listening
on 110 and SMTP on on port 25.
Post by Robert Allred
<snip>
.
.
Robert Allred
2020-09-23 21:55:40 UTC
CURSES!

ADT was giving me problems and kept timing out--so I just got angry and decided to try anything that came to mind. Removed the port numbers from the IP addresses in EMAIL.CFG, launched POP65.SYSTEM--and it's in the process of downloading 193 messages...

So...that's good... I'll let you know once it finishes what else I find...
<snip>
b***@gmail.com

.
Robert Allred
2020-09-24 16:02:52 UTC
Thanks for all your help! Been a lot of fun sending emails back and forth with family. Can't wait for V. 2
.
b***@gmail.com
2020-09-20 15:16:00 UTC
Spaces in passwords may be a problem. I will test that! Can you change
your password?

Bobbi
Post by Robert Allred
Thanks!
Still getting the Authentication Error from POP65.SYSTEM, but Telnet seems
to be working (well, it's not finding the messages, but at least it lets me
log in).
$ telnet 192.168.1.193 110
Trying 192.168.1.193...
Connected to 192.168.1.193.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot ready.
user serverusername
+OK
pass serverpassword
+OK Logged in.
stat
+OK 0 0
Can POP65.SYSTEM handle spaces in passwords??
-Robert
Post by b***@gmail.com
Hi Robert,
<snip>
.
b***@gmail.com
2020-09-19 20:08:00 UTC
Also, I should mention there is a version 1.1 available now from:
https://www.github.com/bobbimanners/ip65/releases

v1.1 has a whole pile of minor improvements and fixes relative to v1.0.

(PS: Version 2.0 should be out before too long with support for Usenet
news. I am writing this message using the current development snapshot.)

All the best,
Bobbi