Classic Wolfenstein editor/cheat utility?
dangerman
2007-10-12 16:42:18 UTC
I've seen old ads for a Wolfenstein cheat utility called The Great
Escape or something like that.

Computist published a cheat utility in their Best of Vol1 - and the
disk image is in the archive:

http://www.computist-project.net/disks/dsk/

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the standard Asimov
Wolfenstein fixed image. It gives a DOS Unknown Error 235 when trying
to write the changes to Castle or Backup.

A possible reason might be that the cracking scheme used on the Asmiov
image isn't the same as what the program expects - it does come with a
Super IOB for Wolfenstein.

The Great Escape Utility ads boasted that it was in machine language
which the Computist one isn't. Anybody got a copy or have other ideas?
CC Rider
2007-10-12 20:58:14 UTC
Castle Wolfenstein is the reason I bought my first Apple II in 1980.
I spent a lot of time using a sector editor to poke around. I
recollect using the information provided by Computist to make some
changes to my game disk. I recently worked through all of that again
so I have fresh information at home. If you are comfortable using the
sector editor in Copy II Plus or Glen Bredon's Block Warden I can help
you. I have not seen the Great Escape Utility program though.

CC
Andy McFadden
2007-10-12 22:48:53 UTC
Post by CC Rider
Castle Wolfenstein is the reason I bought my first Apple II in 1980.
I spent a lot of time using a sector editor to poke around. I
recollect using the information provided by Computist to make some
changes to my game disk. I recently worked through all of that again
so I have fresh information at home. If you are comfortable using the
sector editor in Copy II Plus or Glen Bredon's Block Warden I can help
you. I have not seen the Great Escape Utility program though.
FWIW, there are at least two versions of Castle Wolfenstein. I've seen
originals on both 13-sector and 16-sector disks, and I think the
text shown while loading was slightly different (e.g. it had a "please
wait" message or somesuch).

The version on Asimov may have been file-copied with a modified "muffin"
program, in which case the sector addresses would all have changed.

Looks like I still have the two SST "halves" for the DOS 3.2 version if
you want to play with that. (Can be combined into .nib or possibly
reconstituted into the original.)
--
Send mail to ***@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
Fight Internet Spam - http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ & http://spamcop.net/
Matthew T. Russotto
2007-10-13 04:19:26 UTC
Post by Andy McFadden
FWIW, there are at least two versions of Castle Wolfenstein. I've seen
originals on both 13-sector and 16-sector disks, and I think the
text shown while loading was slightly different (e.g. it had a "please
wait" message or somesuch).
The Wolfenstein I remember was 13 sectors with sector number
doubling. A Hardcore Computist softkey mentions a 16-sector with a
bit of fudgery to the address fields and the translation tables.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
dangerman
2007-10-14 15:14:12 UTC
Post by Andy McFadden
Looks like I still have the two SST "halves" for the DOS 3.2 version if
you want to play with that. (Can be combined into .nib or possibly
reconstituted into the original.)
That would be great Andy.

BTW, I love Ciderpress! Thank you for that wonderful utility!
s***@optonline.net
2007-10-15 00:51:59 UTC
If I remember right, I posted a .nib of a 13-sector wolfenstein on Garberstreet.com sometime back.

If it ain't there, let me know, and I'll send one up.

Joihn.
Post by Andy McFadden
Post by CC Rider
[...]
RIP: Imus In The Morning: A victim of misplaced rage.

***@yahoogroups.com

Where the best in OTR is collected for the future.

www.appleiidocupedia.hobby-site.org

Help me build some history.
William Garber
2007-10-15 01:27:49 UTC
<***@optonline.net> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
:
: If I remember right, I posted a .nib of a
: 13-sector wolfenstein on Garberstreet.com
: sometime back.
:
: If it ain't there, let me know, and I'll
: send one up.
:
: John.

I just moved a bunch of stuff over from Uploads.
Let me know where it is, if it is. Thanks.

William Garber
Email Address - ***@garberstreet.com
Alt. Email - ***@comcast.net
Web address - http://www.garberstreet.com
dangerman
2007-10-15 15:46:37 UTC
Yay!

The Computist edit program works with the wolfenstein.dsk image from
Garberstreet.

It allowed me to edit "Castle" without any problems. It gave me a
different error when I tried to edit "backup", but that didn't seem to
matter.
s***@optonline.net

Help me build some history.
Linards Ticmanis
2007-10-15 19:52:53 UTC
Post by Andy McFadden
Looks like I still have the two SST "halves" for the DOS 3.2 version if
you want to play with that. (Can be combined into .nib or possibly
reconstituted into the original.)
Hello Andy,

Could I get the SST halves? Or maybe you could upload them somewhere?
I'd like to run it on real iron, and .nib, as we all know too well,
isn't great for that.

Thanks in advance,
Linards Ticmanis
Andy McFadden
2007-10-17 06:27:50 UTC
Post by Linards Ticmanis
Could I get the SST halves? Or maybe you could upload them somewhere?
I'd like to run it on real iron, and .nib, as we all know too well,
isn't great for that.
It'll be available briefly at:

http://fadden.com/wolf.zip

The disks are in .SDK format. Unless I have my files crossed, this is the
original, still-copy-protected 13-sector version, from the original disk.
(I'm not near a copy of CiderPress at the moment -- you can check by
combining them with CP and opening the image. CP knows about Muse
13-sector disks, so you'll be able to see the files. The Ctrl-I "archive
info" screen should identify the disk format.)

I also put up:

http://fadden.com/zork.zip

This is the original 13-sector Personal Software edition of Zork, from
the original disk. I believe it requires booting through the BASICS disk
or a "boot13" program.

(Looks like I also have the original BASICS disk. I needed some test
images when working on the CiderPress un-SST code. That one, however,
should be easy to find.)
Linards Ticmanis
2007-10-17 17:15:47 UTC
Post by Andy McFadden
http://fadden.com/wolf.zip
The disks are in .SDK format.
Thanks a lot - just downloaded them - will check it out later.
Post by Andy McFadden
(Looks like I also have the original BASICS disk. I needed some test
images when working on the CiderPress un-SST code. That one, however,
should be easy to find.)
Yes, I have the BASICS disk already (and a Disk II controller with
switchable ROM), so I should be all set to boot 13-sector stuff.

Thanks again!
Linards Ticmanis
xorxif
2007-10-20 16:42:03 UTC
Could someone post a link to a disk image of BASICS? I can't seem to
find one...

- xorxif