AppleColor Monitor 100 with the IIgs
Tempest
2010-07-10 12:45:28 UTC
While doing a little research on my Monitor 100 I came across this
interesting support article over on Apple's site that says you can use
the Monitor 100 with the IIgs: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA37840?viewlocale=en_US

Has anyone ever tried this? I assume that this has some issues since
it appears you're going from 16 to 8 colors? It does says that all
colors are available though, but does it mean in IIe mode or in both
IIe and IIgs modes?

Tempest
MdntTrain
2010-07-11 15:48:16 UTC
Post by Tempest
While doing a little research on my Monitor 100 I came across this
interesting support article over on Apple's site that says you can use
the Monitor 100 with the IIgs:http://support.apple.com/kb/TA37840?viewlocale=en_US
Has anyone ever tried this?  I assume that this has some issues since
it appears you're going from 16 to 8 colors?  It does says that all
colors are available though, but does it mean in IIe mode or in both
IIe and IIgs modes?
Tempest
Sounds like this changes the monitor from a 4-line RGBI input to 3-
line RGB input -- which if digital would be 8 colors -- but as the
IIgs is analog out, and the monitor expects digital in, I wonder how
the signal levels are dealt with.

jS
mdj
2010-07-12 07:31:20 UTC
Post by MdntTrain
Sounds like this changes the monitor from a 4-line RGBI input to 3-
line RGB input -- which if digital would be 8 colors -- but as the
IIgs is analog out, and the monitor expects digital in, I wonder how
the signal levels are dealt with.
The AppleColor Monitor 100 is actually an analog monitor to which a
RGBI digital converter was added. Flipping the switch disables the the
converter allowing the analog signals to flow straight through.

Matt
Tempest
2010-07-12 13:57:27 UTC
Post by mdj
Post by MdntTrain
Sounds like this changes the monitor from a 4-line RGBI input to 3-
line RGB input -- which if digital would be 8 colors -- but as the
IIgs is analog out, and the monitor expects digital in, I wonder how
the signal levels are dealt with.
The AppleColor Monitor 100 is actually an analog monitor to which a
RGBI digital converter was added. Flipping the switch disables the the
converter allowing the analog signals to flow straight through.
Matt
So it works just fine as a IIgs monitor then? I'm going to have to
try that. How is the signal quality?
Bill Garber
2010-07-12 15:45:16 UTC
Post by mdj
Post by MdntTrain
Sounds like this changes the monitor from a 4-line RGBI input to 3-
line RGB input -- which if digital would be 8 colors -- but as the
IIgs is analog out, and the monitor expects digital in, I wonder how
the signal levels are dealt with.
The AppleColor Monitor 100 is actually an analog monitor to which a
RGBI digital converter was added. Flipping the switch disables the the
converter allowing the analog signals to flow straight through.
Matt
: So it works just fine as a IIgs monitor then?
: I'm going to have to try that. How is the signal quality?

According to the Apple II Compatibility Guide (P/N A2F2204),
the AppleColor Monitor 100 is not compatible with the Apple IIGS.

For the many owners of the AppleColor Monitor 100 who are
upgrading their IIe's to the Apple IIGS, but who want to
avoid having to purchase a new monitor, there is a workaround.

Inside the AppleColor Monitor 100 on the main PC board, almost
directly under the neck of the CRT, there is a slide switch
labeled "16 color/8 color".

To make the AppleColor Monitor 100 work with the Apple IIGS,
set the switch to the 8 color position, and use the cable
provided with the Color Monitor 100 (svc part # 590-0194-A)
to connect it to the the Apple IIGS. This configuration makes
all colors available.

Apple Computer, Inc. takes no responsibility for any damages
incurred, real or implied, that may result from this change.
Tempest
2010-07-12 18:20:11 UTC
Post by Bill Garber
Post by mdj
Post by MdntTrain
[...]
Right, that's the text of the article. What I want to know is how
well does it work? I may have to just try it tonight and see for
myself.
Bill Garber
2010-07-12 19:06:21 UTC
Post by Bill Garber
Post by mdj
Post by MdntTrain
[...]

Of that I have no clue, so if you do, please, let us know.

Just to remind you of something you may have seen here at several
intervals in time, be careful of what you touch in there. Lots of
high voltage even with it unplugged for a few days. As a matter
of fact, I am not 100% sure, but I believe that I have heard that
it is safer plugged into the wall, as it provides a ground in case
you do touch something.

And, remember, one hand in the pocket prevents a complete circuit
between you and the other side of you. 8^)

Good Luck.

Bill
Tempest
2010-07-12 19:57:52 UTC
Post by Bill Garber
Post by mdj
Post by MdntTrain
[...]
My AppleColor 100 hasn't been plugged in in over 3 years, I think all
the residual voltage is gone by now. I'm also hoping that the switch
is in an easy to reach place. I've never opened one up before so
we'll have to see.

Tempest
Bill Garber
2010-07-12 22:05:36 UTC
messagenews:c5d15ddb-
Post by Bill Garber
Post by mdj
Post by MdntTrain
[...]

Direct quote below:

"Inside the AppleColor Monitor 100 on the main PC board,
almost directly under the neck of the CRT, there is a
slide switch labeled "16 color/8 color"."

I think you'll be able to get to it without pulling the
cover clean away from the set. Shame you can't get to it
without opening it up. Buwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! 8^)

Bill
Michael J. Mahon
2010-07-13 16:39:55 UTC
Post by Tempest
messagenews:c5d15ddb-
Post by Bill Garber
Post by mdj
Post by MdntTrain
[...]
You are correct--nothing to worry about.

There's no high voltage at the "neck" end of the CRT. Just be careful
not to break the glass neck.

It's actually safer unplugged--the "plugged in" thing applies more to
low voltage digital devices, where it can help prevent ESD damage, but
even in that case it's not a big deal.

BTW, you may need to cycle that switch back and forth several times to
clean its contacts--it's been a long time since they were "wiped".

-michael - NadaNet 3.1: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon
joltenjoe
2010-07-13 01:58:37 UTC
Post by Bill Garber
Post by mdj
Post by MdntTrain
[...]
3 years might be fine but better to be safe than sorry.

My father once accidentally vaporized the end of a screwdriver on a
unit that was stored for awhile.

http://www.wikihow.com/Discharge-a-CRT-Monitor

Then again, lowendmac doesn't think its that bad,
http://lowendmac.com/tech/crt_danger.html
A2Aviator
2010-07-13 02:19:47 UTC
The switch is kinda buried, a wooden ruler can reach it. It's a slide
switch like a dome light in an early 50's Chrysler product. 1/4"
square like black handle, slide it.

You need the cable that came with it, the IIgs cable will have two
colors switched. Or.. fix the switched colors.
Bill Garber
2010-07-13 12:24:34 UTC
Post by A2Aviator
The switch is kinda buried, a wooden ruler can reach it.
It's a slide switch like a dome light in an early 50's
Chrysler product. 1/4" square like black handle, slide it.
You need the cable that came with it, the IIgs cable will
have two colors switched. Or.. fix the switched colors.
Let me guess, 'red' and 'green' like some of the Video7 cards?

Bill
Tempest
So you've tried it then? How well does it work?
A2Aviator
2010-07-13 14:53:46 UTC
I don't remember hating it, I think it was one of those, "oh, so thats
what that switch does... " Lets try it, kinda moments. That monitor is
more of a matte finish vs. glossy, likening it to LCD marketing of
today. But all colors are presented.
Tempest
2010-07-13 17:29:09 UTC
Post by A2Aviator
I don't remember hating it, I think it was one of those, "oh, so thats
what that switch does... " Lets try it, kinda moments. That monitor is
more of a matte finish vs. glossy, likening it to LCD marketing of
today. But all colors are presented.
I may use my AppleColor 100 as a replacement for my Apple RGB monitor
since mine has a nick in the center of the screen. It doesn't match
the IIgs very well, but it's better than nothing. I really need to
get around to making that cable so I can use my Amiga 1080 with it
though.