Is this group dead?
TRS-90
2024-04-14 05:37:48 UTC
Golly... has the discontinuation of Google Groups ended this great forum? I understand there is discord or facef**k or whatever... but this forum is/was the very best and also the one I could reach via my Apple II ( as I am doing now ). Anyone remember Atari Hat? That happened right here, totally free of social media. What a great series that was! What about the regular updates on ProDOS conversions? Is that now gone too? Forgive me, I'm ranting to a possibly empty void where no one will even read what I am writing. Much thanks to Speccie for writing the software that enables me to vomit this. Good stuff, man! I do wish for key bindings for button presses hahah! Not that I could do it... I'm still struggling with scripts that make text into 40 cols or 80 cols. Python can do that, but is anyone even reading?
Speccie
2024-04-14 07:04:14 UTC
Matthew,
Post by TRS-90
Much thanks to Speccie for writing the software that enables me to vomit this. Good stuff, man! I
Thanks for the nice words, and I am still here, as are some other long time users...

Speccie
Ralph Hyre
2024-06-24 16:12:17 UTC
Post by Speccie
Matthew,
Post by TRS-90
Much thanks to Speccie for writing the software that enables me to vomit this. Good stuff, man! I
Thanks for the nice words, and I am still here, as are some other long time users...
Speccie
I'm back, right now with an "Eternal September" account.

My old userID was ***@ius2.cs.cmu.edu - but that was 34 years ago!
I used to run the info-appletalk group (aka comp.protocols.appletalk)
Andrew Roughan
2024-06-27 06:38:00 UTC
Post by Ralph Hyre
I used to run the info-appletalk group (aka comp.protocols.appletalk)
Perhaps you may be intrigued to be informed that there is an SMB FST for
Apple IIgs presentation in the schedule for Kansasfest 2024.

Regards
Andrew
D Finnigan
2024-06-27 12:53:23 UTC
The S-Prize! Is that still active?
Hugh Hood
2024-06-27 15:59:10 UTC
Post by D Finnigan
The S-Prize! Is that still active?
Was that the 'bounty' that Sheppy put on the project? It seems like it's been a while.

Since we're on the subject of a SMB FST, would this require an Uthernet card (or perhaps Fujinet) to function?

Also, would it preserve file attributes (and resource forks) with AppleDouble?

Hugh Hood
D Finnigan
2024-06-27 16:46:27 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
Post by D Finnigan
The S-Prize! Is that still active?
Was that the 'bounty' that Sheppy put on the project? It seems like it's been a while.
Yes, about 10 years ago.
Post by Hugh Hood
Since we're on the subject of a SMB FST, would this require an Uthernet
card (or perhaps Fujinet) to function?
I don't know anything about this particular project, but if it was written
to use the Marinetti tool interface, it ought to work on any
Marinetti-compatible network interface.
--
]DF$
The New Apple II User's Guide:
https://macgui.com/newa2guide/
mmphosis
2024-06-27 19:11:57 UTC
Post by D Finnigan
Post by Andrew Roughan
Post by Ralph Hyre
I used to run the info-appletalk group (aka comp.protocols.appletalk)
Perhaps you may be intrigued to be informed that there is an SMB FST for
Apple IIgs presentation in the schedule for Kansasfest 2024.
The S-Prize! Is that still active?
I don't know if it is still active. I am intrigued. Here is what I dug up

"Sheppy" Eric Shepherd’s S-Prize for the SMB protocol

SMB file system for the 16-bit Apple IIGS

https://web.archive.org/web/20170709014140/http://www.s-prize.gs/

https://a2central.com/2013/08/eric-shepherd-announces-s-prize/

Eric Shepherd’s S-Prize to bring the Samba networking protocol to the IIGS
from 1:33:46 to 1:36:33
https://www.open-apple.net/2013/09/02/show-030-mangin-jobs-tetris-sprize/

Eric Shepherd’s S-Prize for the SMB protocol
from 7:40 to 12:37
https://www.open-apple.net/2014/01/02/2013-year-end-roundtable/

https://github.com/cshepherd/gscifs

File System Translators (FST)

https://iigs.ksherlock.com/

https://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/products/apple2gs/fsts.html
https://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/documentation/gsos/

Ralph Hyre

Jeff Blakeney
2024-04-14 14:40:47 UTC
Post by TRS-90
Golly... has the discontinuation of Google Groups ended this great
forum?
[snip]
Post by TRS-90
but is anyone even reading?
I still read here, even though there hasn't been much activity lately.
Steve Nickolas
2024-04-14 15:32:21 UTC
Like John Rzeznik said, I'm still here...

-uso.
Charlie
2024-04-14 18:06:31 UTC
Post by TRS-90
Golly..
<snip>
is anyone even reading?

I'm still reading.

Charlie
James Hall
2024-04-25 03:56:07 UTC
Still Here. 73 ve3myz james
Michael J. Mahon
2024-04-25 06:41:15 UTC
Post by Charlie
Post by TRS-90
Golly..
<snip>
is anyone even reading?
I'm still reading.
Charlie
Likewise… ;-)
Steven Hirsch
2024-04-29 14:35:28 UTC
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Post by Charlie
Post by TRS-90
Golly..
<snip>
is anyone even reading?
I'm still reading.
Charlie
Likewise… ;-)
Roger that!
Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood
2024-05-01 02:27:52 UTC
Groovy hepcat Steven Hirsch was jivin' in comp.sys.apple2 on Tue, 30 Apr
2024 12:35 am. It's a cool scene! Dig it.
Post by Steven Hirsch
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Post by Charlie
Post by TRS-90
Golly..
<snip>
is anyone even reading?
I'm still reading.
Charlie
Likewise… ;-)
Roger that!
Me three. :) Mostly just lurking, though.
--
----- Dig the NEW and IMPROVED news sig!! -----

-------------- Shaggy was here! ---------------
Ain't I'm a dawg!!
Ant
2024-04-15 01:03:36 UTC
Post by TRS-90
Golly... has the discontinuation of Google Groups ended this great forum? I understand there is discord or facef**k or whatever... but this forum is/was the very best and also the one I could reach via my Apple II ( as I am doing now ). Anyone remember Atari Hat? That happened right here, totally free of social media. What a great series that was! What about the regular updates on ProDOS conversions? Is that now gone too? Forgive me, I'm ranting to a possibly empty void where no one will even read what I am writing. Much thanks to Speccie for writing the software that enables me to vomit this. Good stuff, man! I do wish for key bindings for button presses hahah! Not that I could do it... I'm still struggling with scripts that make text into 40 cols or 80 cols. Python can do that, but is anyone even reading?
I'm still here!
--
"We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him." --1 Thessalonians 4:14. Still winter rain!
| |o o| |
( )
Jeff Berntsen
2024-04-15 14:02:46 UTC
I'm still around too.
Mousemiki
2024-04-15 14:14:02 UTC
Post by Jeff Berntsen
Post by TRS-90
Golly... has the discontinuation of Google Groups ended this great
forum?
I'm still around too.
Io continuo a leggervi tranquillamente.
--
Post by Jeff Berntsen
Post by TRS-90
I have a family and a full time job, but still have time to get
much hours of Amiga hacking a day :-) <<<
SteveN
2024-04-16 15:21:46 UTC
Greetings. I am still around too. This is my primary source of AppleII
news. I wish I could interface with Slack on this rpi5 but I haven't
discovered a way. Slack is not supported on my old Mac so that is no
longer a viable option. Well,slack is if I want to spend $$$ on a newer
Mac. Keep supporting comp.sys.apple2 groups. I am using Thunderbird on
my rpi5 as a newsgroup reader. --Steve
Hugh Hood
2024-04-15 15:45:42 UTC
Post by TRS-90
Golly... has the discontinuation of Google Groups ended this great
forum?
While I too have been disappointed in the recent lack of traffic here,
and wondered whether it is due to Google's decision to no longer offer
access rather than just to being caused by a general lack of 'red meat'
Apple II news, this group will remain my primary method of interfacing
with my fellow Apple II fans.

That said, there are some interesting new Apple II projects out there
that seem never to be discussed here. That surprises me, but what's a
guy to do?

I remain grateful for all our stalwarts here.

Hugh Hood
Jerry Penner
2024-04-17 05:13:43 UTC
Post by TRS-90
Golly... has the discontinuation of Google Groups ended this great
forum?
While I too have been disappointed in the recent lack of traffic here, and wondered
whether it is due to Google's decision to no longer offer access rather than just to being
caused by a general lack of 'red meat' Apple II news, this group will remain my primary
method of interfacing with my fellow Apple II fans.
That said, there are some interesting new Apple II projects out there that seem never to
be discussed here. That surprises me, but what's a guy to do?
I remain grateful for all our stalwarts here.
The Slack channels have seemed kind of slow lately too, as compared to a
few weeks ago. Maybe it's just a lull in hobby activity?
Jerry jerry+a2 at jpen.ca
D Finnigan
2024-04-19 16:24:25 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
Post by TRS-90
Golly... has the discontinuation of Google Groups ended this great
forum?
While I too have been disappointed in the recent lack of traffic here,
and wondered whether it is due to Google's decision to no longer offer
access rather than just to being caused by a general lack of 'red meat'
Apple II news, this group will remain my primary method of interfacing
with my fellow Apple II fans.
Nope and nope. All the intelligent Apple II users went to
https://apple2infinitum.slack.com/

Only the rubes are still posting on csa2.
Ant
2024-04-19 19:53:36 UTC
Post by D Finnigan
Post by Hugh Hood
Post by TRS-90
Golly... has the discontinuation of Google Groups ended this great
forum?
While I too have been disappointed in the recent lack of traffic here,
and wondered whether it is due to Google's decision to no longer offer
access rather than just to being caused by a general lack of 'red meat'
Apple II news, this group will remain my primary method of interfacing
with my fellow Apple II fans.
Nope and nope. All the intelligent Apple II users went to
https://apple2infinitum.slack.com/
Ew. I don't like Slack. :(
--
"My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you..." --Galatians 4:19. Outdoor nest workies on a quiet Thursday to make this old ant pass out >10 PM until <1 AM, then 3:33:33 AM until >7 AM.
| |o o| |
( )
Oliver Schmidt
2024-04-21 11:12:48 UTC
Hi David,
[...] this group will remain my primary method of interfacing with my fellow Apple II fans.
[...] Only the rubes are still posting on csa2.
Maybe I'm missing some irony here, but otherwise I think that "rube" isn't
an appropriate name for Hugh. Something like "traditionalist" seems to fit
way better from my POV.

Just my two cents,
Oliver
Hugh Hood
2024-04-21 17:08:27 UTC
Thanks Oliver,

But I'm good with 'rube'. Also 'bumpkin', 'hayseed' and other
pejoratives for males in the Southern U.S. ;-)

If the shoe fits, ...

Plus, I *think* David was joking. In any case, I laughed.

Hugh Hood
Hi David,
Oliver
David Schmidt
2024-04-22 13:42:30 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
Thanks Oliver,
But I'm good with 'rube'. Also 'bumpkin', 'hayseed' and other
pejoratives for males in the Southern U.S. ;-)
If the shoe fits, ...
Plus, I *think* David was joking. In any case, I laughed.
I prefer csa2 for more "permanent" things; slack is kind of immediate,
and that's fun for real-time interaction. But for conversations that
can be/need to be more durable, this is the place.

- David
Scott Alfter
2024-04-16 22:30:58 UTC
Post by TRS-90
but is anyone even reading?
I'm still lurking, FWIW...been here on and off since 1989.
--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
I3arana
2024-04-28 05:25:00 UTC
Post by TRS-90
Golly... has the discontinuation of Google Groups ended this great forum? I understand there is discord or facef**k or whatever... but this forum is/was the very best and also the one I could reach via my Apple II ( as I am doing now ). Anyone remember Atari Hat? That happened right here, totally free of social media. What a great series that was! What about the regular updates on ProDOS conversions? Is that now gone too? Forgive me, I'm ranting to a possibly empty void where no one will even read what I am writing. Much thanks to Speccie for writing the software that enables me to vomit this. Good stuff, man! I do wish for key bindings for button presses hahah! Not that I could do it... I'm still struggling with scripts that make text into 40 cols or 80 cols. Python can do that, but is anyone even reading?
Weve gone nowhere. :)

We farted in googles general direction, and they finally buggered off.

Bout time :)
A][ FOREBA.
--
~Die then Soar~

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
Django Reinhardt
2024-04-30 08:04:34 UTC
I don't think so , I really like comp.sys.apple2 . Better privacy!
Speccie
2024-05-01 07:09:36 UTC
Post by Django Reinhardt
I don't think so , I really like comp.sys.apple2 . Better privacy!
And all the better to hear you play your guitar with the Hot Club...

Cheers - Speccie