Using ,dsk images on a real Apple II -- help
c***@gmail.com
2006-11-13 01:40:48 UTC
OK, I have a number of .dsk images (as used in WinApple and other
emulators) and I'd like to make them into 5 1/4 disks for use on a real
Apple II.

I tried going the image->Macintosh->File Exchange onto a
Prodos-formatted 3.5 disk route. The big snag with that is that File
Exchange (3.0.1) insists on setting the Prodos filetype on all of the
copied files to $00. These files are useless on the Apple II (cannot be
read, deleted, or otherwise manipulated).

I tried Protype (1.1) and changing the file types on the mac with
ResEdit, to no avail. I even tried fooling with a couple of modems, but
I really don't want to go the hardware route if at all possible.

I've done this before about a year or two ago, and remember going
through the same kinds of hell, but managed to get an image transferred
to a 5 1/4 disk!

Help! Thanks in advance...
Chris Alaimo
2006-11-13 01:46:02 UTC
I assume that "the hardware route" means using ADT. I have to say that
it is BY FAR the easiest way to make 5.25" disks. That or you can buy
a compact flash card or something.

You can't make them on a Mac because you can't plug a 5.25" DD into a
Mac, but you can copy a few disk images onto a prodos formatted disk,
and then take that disk over to your Apple and then make disks out of
the images. I don't remember what program you use to do that though.

Chris
Help! Thanks in advance...
c***@gmail.com
2006-11-13 01:50:46 UTC
Chris Alaimo wrote:
\
Post by Chris Alaimo
You can't make them on a Mac because you can't plug a 5.25" DD into a
Mac, but you can copy a few disk images onto a prodos formatted disk,
and then take that disk over to your Apple and then make disks out of
the images. I don't remember what program you use to do that though.
I've done that before. The issue is, any file I copy to the prodos disk
(disk image, text file, whatever) show up on the Apple with a filetype
$00. These files can't be worked with at all (not even deleted)

There is a type change utility floating around, but I have that same
chicken-and-egg, catch 22 problem with getting it over to the Apple....
Michael J. Mahon
2006-11-13 02:29:36 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
\
Post by Chris Alaimo
You can't make them on a Mac because you can't plug a 5.25" DD into a
Mac, but you can copy a few disk images onto a prodos formatted disk,
and then take that disk over to your Apple and then make disks out of
the images. I don't remember what program you use to do that though.
I've done that before. The issue is, any file I copy to the prodos disk
(disk image, text file, whatever) show up on the Apple with a filetype
$00. These files can't be worked with at all (not even deleted)
There is a type change utility floating around, but I have that same
chicken-and-egg, catch 22 problem with getting it over to the Apple....
If you have an older Mac and a 3.5" drive on your Apple II, then copy
the disk images to a ProDOS formatted 3.5" disk and bring them to the
Apple II.

Then run UNFORKIT to remove the resource forks from the files and
FILE2DSK (or your favorite image-to-disk utility) to copy each image
to a formatted 5.25" floppy.

This worked fine for me for years, until I got a Superdisk controller
for my IIe (which makes transfers using PC 1.44MB 3.5" disks easy).

-michael

NadaNet networking for Apple II computers!
Home page: http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it's seriously underused."
c***@gmail.com
2006-11-13 02:55:35 UTC
Post by Michael J. Mahon
If you have an older Mac and a 3.5" drive on your Apple II, then copy
the disk images to a ProDOS formatted 3.5" disk and bring them to the
Apple II.
That I can do, no problem....
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Then run UNFORKIT to remove the resource forks from the files and
FILE2DSK (or your favorite image-to-disk utility) to copy each image
to a formatted 5.25" floppy.
But then how can I get UNFORKIT on a disk? Again, all my transferred
files end up with an unusable Type $00....

(UNFORKIT is a basic program, maybe I can get the source code some way
or another....)
Post by Michael J. Mahon
This worked fine for me for years, until I got a Superdisk controller
for my IIe (which makes transfers using PC 1.44MB 3.5" disks easy).
That might be another possibility, if they are not horribly
expensive....

Otherwise, the ADT thing might be the way to go. I need to get a PC set
up near my GS, though, don't know when that will happen. Getting the
ADT software on my Apple is another issue....
."
c***@gmail.com
2006-11-13 03:04:43 UTC
Or is there a quick and easy way (that I didn't know about) to have a
PC write a 3.5 disk that an Apple IIGS can read...skipping over all
this Mac stuff....
Oldbitcollector
2006-11-13 05:52:22 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Or is there a quick and easy way (that I didn't know about) to have a
PC write a 3.5 disk that an Apple IIGS can read...skipping over all
this Mac stuff....
I don't know about quick, but the transfer of .2MG files from my PC to
my GS using an Xmodem terminal takes around 10 mins with another 5 to
convert them to actual disks using DiskMaker8. Not fast, but it
works.

Oldbit
David Flory
2006-11-13 09:11:07 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Or is there a quick and easy way (that I didn't know about) to have a
PC write a 3.5 disk that an Apple IIGS can read...skipping over all
this Mac stuff....
That's definitely impossible, I'm afraid. The IBM and Apple drives use
different encoding schemes at the physical level (MFM vs. FM). However
as Michael mentioned, you might be able to get a superdrive for the Apple.

There are also "Apple IIe" cards for the PC...(transwarp?), although
they seem very rare and would require a vintage PC with ISA slots.

You've got some good solutions to try, though!

Regards,

Dave
Michael J. Mahon
2006-11-13 09:35:23 UTC
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Then run UNFORKIT to remove the resource forks from the files and
FILE2DSK (or your favorite image-to-disk utility) to copy each image
to a formatted 5.25" floppy.
But then how can I get UNFORKIT on a disk? Again, all my transferred
files end up with an unusable Type $00....
Yes, I see. I used Crossworks in the beginning to get "bootstrapped"
but any serial link program will do the job.
Post by c***@gmail.com
(UNFORKIT is a basic program, maybe I can get the source code some way
or another....)
Sure, just load it into an emulator and list it. It also has a short
assembly language program (which it probably POKEs into memory--it calls
RWTS to do block I/O).
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Michael J. Mahon
This worked fine for me for years, until I got a Superdisk controller
for my IIe (which makes transfers using PC 1.44MB 3.5" disks easy).
That might be another possibility, if they are not horribly
expensive....
I expect that rarity is even more of a problem these days. A year or
so ago, there was a steady stream of them (Sun Remarketing surplus), but
as that dried up, availability dropped and prices rose...
Post by c***@gmail.com
Otherwise, the ADT thing might be the way to go. I need to get a PC set
up near my GS, though, don't know when that will happen. Getting the
ADT software on my Apple is another issue....
.."
Once you have a working serial link, ADT comes with a "bootstrap"
package. From there, you can get anywhere. ;-)

Mark Percival
2006-11-13 13:21:02 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
But then how can I get UNFORKIT on a disk? Again, all my transferred
files end up with an unusable Type $00....
I wrote a utility to write disk images back to disks. It is called
Diskmaker 8 ($5 shareware) and it will help you. Assuming you are in
North America I can send you Diskmaker 8 on disk (either 5.25" or 3.5",
your choice) for an additional $3. I also include on the disk a couple
of helpful freeware helpful utilites including UNFORKIT.

Contacl me at: ***@syndicomm.com.

Diskmaker 8's web page: http://www.syndicomm.com/~mark/DM8/

-- Mark
j***@macmothership.com

-- Mark
Polymorph
2006-11-13 02:13:49 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
I seem to have been saying this a lot lately, but using ADTPro is by
far the easiest method for transferring almost any image - be it 5.25",
3.5", or a hard disk image.

Check out the ADTPro home page:
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/

All you need is a serial connection to a Windows or Mac PC, and it
sounds like you already have that.

cheers,
-p
William Garber
2006-11-13 15:45:31 UTC
:
: I tried going the image->Macintosh->File Exchange onto a
: Prodos-formatted 3.5 disk route. The big snag with that is that File
: Exchange (3.0.1) insists on setting the Prodos filetype on all of the
: copied files to $00. These files are useless on the Apple II (cannot be
: read, deleted, or otherwise manipulated).
:
: I tried Protype (1.1) and changing the file types on the mac with
: ResEdit, to no avail. I even tried fooling with a couple of modems, but
: I really don't want to go the hardware route if at all possible.
:
: I've done this before about a year or two ago, and remember going
: through the same kinds of hell, but managed to get an image transferred
: to a 5 1/4 disk!
:
: Help! Thanks in advance...

Here's a suggestion. Make a ProDOS partition on your
Mac hard drive. Use Ciderpress to make a 1.44MB ProDOS
disk, and copy DiskMaker8 and disk images to it. Take
the disk to your Mac and copy DiskMaker8 and the images
to the ProDOS partition and then back to a 800K disk
with DiskMaker8 on it. Take that to your IIgs, and make
the disks from that using DiskMaker8. This should eliminate
the FORKing and Filetype problems.

William Garber
Email Address - ***@garberstreet.com
Alt. Email - ***@comcast.net
Web address - http://www.garberstreet.com
b***@terra.es
2006-11-13 19:17:32 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
OK, I have a number of .dsk images (as used in WinApple and other
emulators) and I'd like to make them into 5 1/4 disks for use on a real
Apple II.
I tried going the image->Macintosh->File Exchange onto a
Prodos-formatted 3.5 disk route. The big snag with that is that File
Exchange (3.0.1) insists on setting the Prodos filetype on all of the
copied files to $00. These files are useless on the Apple II (cannot be
read, deleted, or otherwise manipulated).
Hello,

As I see you've got a Mac,

ADFS allows you to mount apple II disk images in the Mac OS 7,8,9, and
X.
<http://www.lazilong.com/apple_II/adfs/>

To transfer files from the mac to the apple II, I'd recommend using
Gerard Putter's virtual II:
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~gp/VirtualII>

-Virtual II i's a fantastic Apple II emulator,
-Virtual II allows for "mounting" any Mac folder as a DOS or ProDOS
volume on the Apple II.
-Virtual II includes Paul Guertin's Mac version of ADT called A2V2.
With this you can recreate disk image files sent via the Mac's serial
port to the Apple II (needs a SuperSerial card installed in tha Apple
II).
-Or, "SAVE" whatever to a sound aiff file, connect the Mac's headphone
output to the Apple II cassette input, play the AIFF file and "LOAD" it
in the Apple II.

To fix the incorrect file types, use PRODOSIFIER:
<http://www.google.com/search?q=prodosifier>

Regards,
Jorge Chamorro.
Greg Buchner
2006-11-13 21:04:54 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
OK, I have a number of .dsk images (as used in WinApple and other
emulators) and I'd like to make them into 5 1/4 disks for use on a real
Apple II.
I tried going the image->Macintosh->File Exchange onto a
Prodos-formatted 3.5 disk route. The big snag with that is that File
Exchange (3.0.1) insists on setting the Prodos filetype on all of the
copied files to $00. These files are useless on the Apple II (cannot be
read, deleted, or otherwise manipulated).
I tried Protype (1.1) and changing the file types on the mac with
ResEdit, to no avail. I even tried fooling with a couple of modems, but
I really don't want to go the hardware route if at all possible.
First off, don't use Apple File Exchange. It doesn't understand some of
the changes Apple made. In later versions of the Mac OS (starting
sometime in System 7 and pre-OS X), there was an extension that let you
read/write ProDOS disks.

So first off, what version of Mac OS are you using?

And, with the extension that handle ProDOS disks and careful file
naming, you should be able to transfer files to a ProDOS formatted disk
and it should be readable on an Apple II after they've had their creator
and filetype modified by ProTYPE.

Greg B.
Actual e-mail address is gregbuchner and I'm located at gmail.com
c***@gmail.com
2006-11-15 04:48:33 UTC
Post by Greg Buchner
So first off, what version of Mac OS are you using?
8.6 .....

Well, anyway, I was able to convert a .2mg image from one of the
emulators into a Diskcopy 4.2 image, and use that to create a disk
readable on the Apple II GS. So that took care of the filetype
problem...

But a new problem has come up: although I can display the disk's
directory, these imaged disks are full of I/O errors, and I can't
read/run any files! (A quick verify with Copy II Plus
showed almost every other block with some sort of an error....)

I tried writing the image to two different disks, so that rules out
problems with any particular piece of media. Could it be that the disk
drives need re-aligning or something?

Once again, thanks in advance!
Michael J. Mahon
2006-11-15 07:40:56 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Greg Buchner
So first off, what version of Mac OS are you using?
8.6 .....
Well, anyway, I was able to convert a .2mg image from one of the
emulators into a Diskcopy 4.2 image, and use that to create a disk
readable on the Apple II GS. So that took care of the filetype
problem...
But a new problem has come up: although I can display the disk's
directory, these imaged disks are full of I/O errors, and I can't
read/run any files! (A quick verify with Copy II Plus
showed almost every other block with some sort of an error....)
I tried writing the image to two different disks, so that rules out
problems with any particular piece of media. Could it be that the disk
drives need re-aligning or something?
Once again, thanks in advance!
I'd suggest formatting the disks on your IIgs--but of course you
don't have formatting software! ;-(

I've seen this problem with Mac-formatted disks, but it went away
when the disks were formatted on the II and written to by the Mac.

b***@terra.es
2006-11-15 08:10:09 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Greg Buchner
So first off, what version of Mac OS are you using?
8.6 .....
Well, anyway, I was able to convert a .2mg image from one of the
emulators into a Diskcopy 4.2 image, and use that to create a disk
readable on the Apple II GS. So that took care of the filetype
problem...
But a new problem has come up: although I can display the disk's
directory, these imaged disks are full of I/O errors, and I can't
read/run any files! (A quick verify with Copy II Plus
showed almost every other block with some sort of an error....)
I tried writing the image to two different disks, so that rules out
problems with any particular piece of media. Could it be that the disk
drives need re-aligning or something?
Once again, thanks in advance!
Did you use the same drive in both the Mac and the IIGS ?
If not, you should try that first... Make the image on the Mac, then
move the Mac's internal drive to the IIGS external drive's case and see
what does the IIGS say then. There's somewhere, online, an article
about cleaning these 3.5" drives, though I don't remember where, at
this time.

Also, try to avoid using HD (1.4Mb) disks as if they were DD (800 kb)
ones, as this is also a potential source of problems.

Regards,
Jorge Chamorro B.
schmidtd
2006-11-15 11:09:45 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Well, anyway, I was able to convert a .2mg image from one of the
emulators into a Diskcopy 4.2 image, and use that to create a disk
readable on the Apple II GS. So that took care of the filetype
problem...
Diskcopy has some trouble making an image readable on an IIgs. It has
to do with some combinations of hardware and software. It might not be
the problem you're seeing, but DiskDup is a program that will take that
variable out of the equation:

http://www.tucows.com/get/206989_84891
c***@gmail.com
2006-11-15 20:08:12 UTC
Post by Michael J. Mahon
I'd suggest formatting the disks on your IIgs--but of course you
don't have formatting software! ;-(
Actually, I do: Copy II Plus (which I have) will format Prodos 800k
disks.

I tried formatting the disk on the IIgs, then running DiskCopy on it,
but still got the same errors when I brought the disk back to the IIgs
to read it....

I did notice that the process works just fine going the other way: e.g.
DiskCopy-ing a Prodos disk on the Mac, then taking the image file and
convert it into a .2mg)
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Did you use the same drive in both the Mac and the IIGS ?
No. That's a possibility, though a little bit more effort....

The Mac disk, now that you mention it, is rather noisy (high pitched
squeaking not unlike fingernails on a chalkboard.....maybe that's part
of the problem)
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Also, try to avoid using HD (1.4Mb) disks as if they were DD (800 kb)
ones, as this is also a potential source of problems.
The disks I used were DD's. I only used the HD disks to move image
files to/from the Mac (from a PC), not between the Mac and the Apple.
Post by Michael J. Mahon
Diskcopy has some trouble making an image readable on an IIgs. It has
to do with some combinations of hardware and software. It might not be
the problem you're seeing, but DiskDup is a program that will take that
http://www.tucows.com/get/206989_84891
Never heard of it, but will give it a shot. Thanks!

I'm also looking at a couple of other strategies, and I will keep
everyone posted.
c***@gmail.com
2006-11-17 04:02:14 UTC
Post by schmidtd
Diskcopy has some trouble making an image readable on an IIgs. It has
to do with some combinations of hardware and software. It might not be
the problem you're seeing, but DiskDup is a program that will take that
http://www.tucows.com/get/206989_84891
DiskDup did the trick. It created a disk from my image that read
perfectly on my Apple IIGS!
Thanks a million, guys!

Now to convert all of those 5 1/4 Syntauri disks to .dsk files.....
Michael J. Mahon
2006-11-17 16:21:32 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by schmidtd
Diskcopy has some trouble making an image readable on an IIgs. It has
to do with some combinations of hardware and software. It might not be
the problem you're seeing, but DiskDup is a program that will take that
http://www.tucows.com/get/206989_84891
DiskDup did the trick. It created a disk from my image that read
perfectly on my Apple IIGS!
Thanks a million, guys!
Now to convert all of those 5 1/4 Syntauri disks to .dsk files.....
I hope they're not copy-protected. ISTR that Syntauri did that to
at least some of their disks...

Simon D. Williams
2006-11-15 19:45:24 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Greg Buchner
So first off, what version of Mac OS are you using?
8.6 .....
Well, anyway, I was able to convert a .2mg image from one of the
emulators into a Diskcopy 4.2 image, and use that to create a disk
readable on the Apple II GS. So that took care of the filetype
problem...
But a new problem has come up: although I can display the disk's
directory, these imaged disks are full of I/O errors, and I can't
read/run any files! (A quick verify with Copy II Plus
showed almost every other block with some sort of an error....)
I tried writing the image to two different disks, so that rules out
problems with any particular piece of media. Could it be that the disk
drives need re-aligning or something?
Once again, thanks in advance!
That sounds like the images are in DOS order but the disks are in ProDOS
order, or vice versa.
-s

_____
!__!__! OLD APPLE WEB SERVER LIST http://www.ld8.org/servers
Greg Buchner
2006-11-15 22:18:07 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Greg Buchner
So first off, what version of Mac OS are you using?
8.6 .....
Well, that would mean you also have a PowerPC Mac, which would have been
my next question.
Post by c***@gmail.com
Well, anyway, I was able to convert a .2mg image from one of the
emulators into a Diskcopy 4.2 image, and use that to create a disk
readable on the Apple II GS. So that took care of the filetype
problem...
But a new problem has come up: although I can display the disk's
directory, these imaged disks are full of I/O errors, and I can't
read/run any files! (A quick verify with Copy II Plus
showed almost every other block with some sort of an error....)
I tried writing the image to two different disks, so that rules out
problems with any particular piece of media. Could it be that the disk
drives need re-aligning or something?
Yes, the drives on PPC Macs do have problems writing to 3.5" DD ProDOS
disks. It's been that way since the 6/7/8100's. With the PowerPC Macs,
Apple switched to a cheaper 3.5" drive that has to emulate some of the
old hardware based speed changes in software. For some reason, it has
problems doing this with ProDOS disks. I keep a Quadra 650 around for
this (and for doing Appletalk to the GS).

I've never tried DiskDup for writing disks as I've never had a problem
with Disk Copy doing it on the Quadra. However, I think this is one of
those things that works for some people and not others. Hopefully
you're one of the ones that it works for...

Greg B.
Actual e-mail address is gregbuchner and I'm located at gmail.com