SATA drive card
Mark Wade
2024-02-21 18:45:20 UTC
I have a card I purchased some years ago installed in slot 7 of a IIgs. I
don't remember its provenance or name but was wondering if anyone remembers
just what it is and if it will work in a //e.

The SCSI drive hooked to a Super Serial card in my //e seems to have failed
(SCSI boot error), not the first time or drive. I've ordered a used 160 MB
IBM HD from eBay, hopefully I can get that working. I'd rather leave the
SATA drive in the IIgs but if I need to I was wondering if it's an option
for the //e.

Any ideas?

-- Mark Wade
Tom Thumb
Sorry, I meant to say: "I have an SATA HD card I purchased some years ago installed in slot 7 of a IIgs"
Mark Wade
2024-02-22 15:43:33 UTC
Post by Mark Wade
I have a card I purchased some years ago installed in slot 7 of a IIgs. I
don't remember its provenance or name but was wondering if anyone remembers
just what it is and if it will work in a //e.
If it will work in a IIe: more likely yes than no.
Post by Mark Wade
The SCSI drive hooked to a Super Serial card in my //e seems to have failed
(SCSI boot error), not the first time or drive. I've ordered a used 160 MB
IBM HD from eBay, hopefully I can get that working. I'd rather leave the
SATA drive in the IIgs but if I need to I was wondering if it's an option
for the //e.
Are you referring to a SCSI card in your IIe that failed? If you want to
continue using SCSI devices, you could upgrade to a solid state SCSI disk
emulator such as a SCSI2SD.
The card,Apple Super Serial Card, seems okay. I think the drive has failed.
I have a doohickey attached, an APC SCSI Sentry, and it seems the card is
communicating with the drive. I'm hoping the drive I ordered, due Saturday,
will work out.

I was just wondering my options. The SATA drive/card is in a spare IIgs and
formatted and software installed for that machine and I'd like to leave it
that way but if it will work in a //e and can be formatted with the
utilities I have that would be an option.

SCSI2SD I've looked at briefly some time ago when I heard of it. I thought
they were in short supply due to chip shortages or do I have that all wrong?

-- Mark Wade
D Finnigan
2024-02-22 15:50:48 UTC
Post by Mark Wade
The SCSI drive hooked to a Super Serial card in my //e seems to have failed
(SCSI boot error), not the first time or drive. I've ordered a used 160 MB
IBM HD from eBay, hopefully I can get that working. I'd rather leave the
SATA drive in the IIgs but if I need to I was wondering if it's an option
for the //e.
Are you referring to a SCSI card in your IIe that failed? If you want to
continue using SCSI devices, you could upgrade to a solid state SCSI disk
emulator such as a SCSI2SD.
The card,Apple Super Serial Card, seems okay. I think the drive has failed.
I have a doohickey attached, an APC SCSI Sentry, and it seems the card is
communicating with the drive. I'm hoping the drive I ordered, due Saturday,
will work out.
Interesting. I'd never heard of the SCSI Sentry device before. It's a
special terminator.
Post by Mark Wade
I was just wondering my options.
There are enough options these days. :-)
Post by Mark Wade
The SATA drive/card is in a spare IIgs and
formatted and software installed for that machine and I'd like to leave it
that way but if it will work in a //e and can be formatted with the
utilities I have that would be an option.
There's a good chance that the drive and card would work in the Apple IIe.
You would just need to put ProDOS 8 on it for the Apple IIe, instead of
GS/OS.
Post by Mark Wade
SCSI2SD I've looked at briefly some time ago when I heard of it. I thought
they were in short supply due to chip shortages or do I have that all wrong?
That may have been the case, but there are now a few clones and work-alikes,
such as BlueSCSI and ZuluSCSI. Check them out.
--
]DF$
The New Apple II User's Guide:
https://macgui.com/newa2guide/
Mark Wade
2024-02-22 16:11:47 UTC
Post by D Finnigan
Post by Mark Wade
SCSI2SD I've looked at briefly some time ago when I heard of it. I thought
they were in short supply due to chip shortages or do I have that all wrong?
That may have been the case, but there are now a few clones and work-alikes,
such as BlueSCSI and ZuluSCSI. Check them out.
Thanks much. I don't get much time with it but I really like that I have
working IIgs, //e and Iic with accessories. Disk ][ drives clicking and
whirring, lights blinking are cool but the //e is more fun with a HD
attached also.

-- Mark Wade
Mark Wade
2024-02-22 16:02:09 UTC
Post by Mark Wade
[...]
I guess I'm addled. The card is of course an Apple High Speed SCSI card, not
an Apple Super Serial Card, which is/was hooked up to a modem all these many
years ago.
D Finnigan
2024-02-22 16:26:24 UTC
Post by Mark Wade
I guess I'm addled. The card is of course an Apple High Speed SCSI card,
not an Apple Super Serial Card, which is/was hooked up to a modem all
these many years ago.
No worries; I realized that's what you must have meant.