Australian AIIE 80Col/64k Memory Expansion and Video card?
Sean McNamara
2004-11-06 11:22:24 UTC
Hi folx,

I've found an Apple-branded card (manufactured in Australia) which is
described as "AIIE 80Col/64k Memory Expansion and Video" on the card. It
has part numbers "AUS-0004" and "A661-91097" - it looks just like an
extra-long "AIIE 80Col/64k Memory Expansion" card with extra bits,
including a composite output and an extra card slot interface (on Aus
machines, the AUX slot was in line with Slot 3, and this card plugs into
both). See medium resolution (216k
resolution (1.3MB
reference.

It certainly works as an 80 column card, but nothing seems to be output
from the composite output.

Does anyone know anything about this card and what the video signal is
(PAL RF?) - any info gratefully accepted.

Regards

Sean

Sean McNamara mailto:***@macassist.com.au
MacAssist Ph: (02) 8920 0866
Authorised Apple Solutions Reseller Fax: (02) 8920 0877
ABN 95 758 412 281 Mobile: 0414 270 132
Marcus Heuser
2004-11-07 01:48:53 UTC
it looks just like an extra-long "AIIE 80Col/64k Memory Expansion" card
with extra bits, including a composite output and an extra card slot
interface (on Aus machines, the AUX slot was in line with Slot 3, and this
card plugs into both).
I think your description is dead on - in the current form it's nothing
more than a memory expansion card (and thus giving 80 columns.).
It certainly works as an 80 column card, but nothing seems to be output
from the composite output.
Does anyone know anything about this card and what the video signal is
(PAL RF?) - any info gratefully accepted.
I don't see any major video electronics on this card except L1, L2
which probably connect to the UX9-connector - maybe some kind of
filter for the video output.

The most important question for me is: What is on that mystery card
that connects to UX9? Maybe its a socket for an RF modulator?

Could you photograph the back side of the circuit board? Maybe we can
check, if the video out has a connection somewhere.

bye
Marcus
Sean McNamara
2004-11-07 11:04:22 UTC
Post by Marcus Heuser
I don't see any major video electronics on this card except L1, L2
which probably connect to the UX9-connector - maybe some kind of
filter for the video output.
The most important question for me is: What is on that mystery card
that connects to UX9? Maybe its a socket for an RF modulator?
Could you photograph the back side of the circuit board? Maybe we can
check, if the video out has a connection somewhere.
Hi Marcus,

Your wish is my command. Medium resolution (208k
resolution (1.3MB
requested.

Marcus Heuser
2004-11-08 09:49:56 UTC
Post by Sean McNamara
Your wish is my command. Medium resolution (208k
<http://apple2.macassist.com.au/images/A661-91097-backm.jpg>) and high
resolution (1.3MB
<http://apple2.macassist.com.au/images/A661-91097-backh.jpg>) pics as
requested.
Hi Sean,

nice shot! Now its fairly clear, I think.

J4 is obviously the video output (leftmost soldered connection on the
circuit board).

From there you can trace a connection going right and up to the middle
between two other soldering points - these are the two components L2
and probably another inductivity. The latter is "unimportant", because
it connects to ground.

But the "important" inductivity L2 connects to the socket UX9 (pin 2
from the top). Thus, without having a module plugged in UX9 you can't
have a signal at the output at all!

Now, what signals are provided from the Apple mainboard to UX9?

Pin 4 of UX9 connects to the regular slot (but which pin?) and pin
7-10 connect directly to the auxiliary slot. I can't assign these
connections either.

Ultimately this seems a bit too sophisticated for a "simple"
RF-modulator-module connection - perhaps someone with more detailed
knowledge can clear this up.

bye
Marcus
Matt Jenkins
2004-11-24 00:50:21 UTC
Post by Marcus Heuser
Ultimately this seems a bit too sophisticated for a "simple"
RF-modulator-module connection - perhaps someone with more detailed
knowledge can clear this up.
It's not an RF output - these cards were shipped with pre-platinum IIe's
when customers bought the AppleColor Composite monitor - for some reason
the video output on the European motherboard produced the 'wrong' colours
on that monitor, although exactly why this is I cannot tell you.

This card corrected the problem, and produced a nice video output - the
best I've seen on a non-RGB equipped Apple II.

The problem went away when the platinum IIe was introduced, as this machine
simply produced a 50hz NTSC signal like the IIc did which the AppleColor monitor
accepts just fine, and the card disappeared into oblivion.

Cheers,

Matt