Browse ShrinkIt archives at Mac GUI Vault with Spyglass
D Finnigan
2017-06-01 19:21:33 UTC
For the first time in history, Apple II files compressed using ShrinkIt can
now be browsed online using the Spyglass disk browser at Mac GUI Vault. With
Spyglass, Apple II disks can be examined online, the files opened and
displayed as ASCII text, BASIC listing, hex, or 65C02 disassembly as
appropriate. Spyglass will also convert Apple II lo-res, hi-res, and Print
Shop graphics to PNG images. Spyglass gives every file a URL so anyone can
link to a file within any disk image, and now within any ShrinkIt archive.

Spyglass, which launched in beta in fall 2013, initially supported only disk
images in DOS 3.3, ProDOS, and Apple Pascal formats. Today's update adds
support for Executioner, Binary II, and BinSCII encodings in addition to
NuFile (ShrinkIt support). Finally, there is preliminary support for CP/M
disk images which will be improved shortly.

The following link points to an assembly language source file for the Z8530
communications chip, archived within a ShrinkIt file:
http://macgui.com/spyglass/r/65f3ce399bfe6109/Z8530Sample.s?f=DngbERYWdElEWkdJA10&fk=e63955dc71

Mac GUI Vault now has thousands of additional files which work with
Spyglass. When browsing the downloads at Mac GUI Vault, look for the large
gray "Look inside with Spyglass" button for files which are compatible.

Spyglass can also be used on any compatible file hosted outside of Mac GUI
Vault. Simply paste the URL (HTTP or FTP) on the main Spyglass page:
http://macgui.com/spyglass/

Following are several sample ShrinkIt files. Click the large gray Spyglass
button at left to browse:

http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=31480 - Click Download on README or
SHK3.DOCS to get the raw ASCII text
http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=33056 - Paste the basic program in your
emulator and type RUN
http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=3663 - View catalog of shrunk DOS 3.3
disk
http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=8240 - Source code
http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=1994 - AppleWorks files are converted
to ASCII text

Improvements on the to-do list include better support for ShrinkIt
whole-disk archives, beyond just showing a catalog, as well as support for
the dynamic LZW/2 compression algorithm.
--
]DF$
Apple II 40th Anniversary User's Guide:
http://macgui.com/newa2guide/
Hugh Hood
2017-06-02 02:16:33 UTC
Post by D Finnigan
For the first time in history, Apple II files compressed using ShrinkIt can
now be browsed online using the Spyglass disk browser at Mac GUI Vault. With
Spyglass, Apple II disks can be examined online, the files opened and
displayed as ASCII text, BASIC listing, hex, or 65C02 disassembly as
appropriate. Spyglass will also convert Apple II lo-res, hi-res, and Print
Shop graphics to PNG images. Spyglass gives every file a URL so anyone can
link to a file within any disk image, and now within any ShrinkIt archive.
David,

Very nice work. Thanks for continuing to improve the 'Vault' experience.

Hugh Hood
D Finnigan
2017-06-02 21:03:39 UTC
Post by Hugh Hood
David,
Very nice work. Thanks for continuing to improve the 'Vault' experience.
Thanks. I've really cut back on my Apple II projects and participation in
the past 2 years but still try to do one or two things a year. Trying not to
leave unfinished projects.... I haven't forgotten that you asked for a GEnie
roundtable index... still on my to-do list. :-/
http://macgui.com/newa2guide/
cybernesto
2017-06-02 07:31:30 UTC
This is huge! Thank you so much for keeping MacGUI alive David!
I'm a big fan of spyglass. It has helped me to rediscover a lot of stuff that otherwise would stay buried in some obscure disk image. I'm sure this addition will lead to a whole new dimension of discoveries.
Keep up the good work.
D Finnigan
2017-06-02 21:02:03 UTC
Post by cybernesto
This is huge! Thank you so much for keeping MacGUI alive David!
I'm a big fan of spyglass. It has helped me to rediscover a lot of stuff
that otherwise would stay buried in some obscure disk image. I'm sure this
addition will lead to a whole new dimension of discoveries.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks. Everything is a stepping stone leading from one thing to the next.
The next big stepping stone after Spyglass is a search engine that searches
inside of all disk images and all archives on Mac GUI Vault. I've talked
about this before. You would be able search anything: ASCII, hex, whatever,
and it will perform any necessary translations-- including searching in both
little and big endian form-- or entering a few 6502 mnemonics and it will
search disassemblies. Also the ability to search by file name, as well as
locate all duplicate files, or all disks with a certain version of ProDOS.

There's lots of cool possibilities (and everything is possible) but not as
much time for me to do these things as I once had. :-(
http://macgui.com/newa2guide/
Alex Lee

- Alex
Ianoid
http://macgui.com/newa2guide/
Hugh Hood
2017-06-02 15:16:11 UTC
Post by Ianoid
What do people use for offline viewing of Shrinkit archivres on current OSX
versions? I have had trouble with that in the past. Or can I use this browser
tool to open Shrinkit archives and then download the contents?
If you don't mind extracting before viewing, Kelvin Sherlock's 'Shrink-Fit
X' is a great GUI application for OS X. He's got versions for PPC and for
Intel, and extractions preserve the ProDOS filetype/auxtype via the Mac
Creator and FileType attributes.

<http://osx.ksherlock.com/>

If you don't mind using the OS X command line and building from the source
code, Andy McFadden's 'nulib2' is wonderful as well. It also preserves
ProDOS attributes on the Mac.

<http://nulib.com/downloads/index.htm>

Hugh Hood
D Finnigan
2017-06-02 20:50:36 UTC
Post by Ianoid
What do people use for offline viewing of Shrinkit archivres on current
OSX
versions? I have had trouble with that in the past. Or can I use this
browser tool to open Shrinkit archives and then download the contents?
I've got a QuickLook plugin from Mark Lim that's really handy to use. It
shows a listing of what's in .SHK file in the Finder (or any program that
uses QuickLook).
http://macgui.com/newa2guide/
Mark P M Lim
2017-06-03 02:52:00 UTC
Post by D Finnigan
I've got a QuickLook plugin from Mark Lim that's really handy to use. It
shows a listing of what's in .SHK file in the Finder (or any program that
uses QuickLook).
Great piece of work. Thanks for the plug on QuickLookSHK.

QuickLookSHK started life as a standalone (normally residing in the one of
the QuickLook folders on the boot system of a macOS computer). Since it does
not depend on Andy Fadden’s code, it could be operate from any of the 3
designated locations on the user’s computer. Later, it was package as part
of NuShrinkItX.

There are 2 versions of NuShrinkItX: one written in Objective-C and the
other in Swift . The Objective-C version requires 10.5 (Leopard) or later.
The Swift version requires 10.10 (Yosemite) or later since its UI is
storyboard-based.

Unlike Spyglass, I have not got around to updating NuShrinkItX to let the
user preview a text copy of 6502 code or AppleSoft. (Too bogged down with
learning OpenGL/SceneKit as I am a slow learner.) Currently only text files
can be previewed.

Regards.

Mark
--