Ordering 74LS## chips from?
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2016-07-19 23:18:14 UTC
1. Where are people (bulk?) ordering TTL 74LS## chips these days from?

I need a bunch of spare 74LS 00/02/04/08/20/30/76/126/174/ yada yada yada (preferably 8-16 each min.) so I have some to play with for the various projects. :-)

2. How are people keeping their chips organized? Any popular/favorite stackable shelves?

3. Any chips on the master list that the hobbist should have ?

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_7400_series_integrated_circuits
Michael J. Mahon
2016-07-20 04:28:45 UTC
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
1. Where are people (bulk?) ordering TTL 74LS## chips these days from?
Mouser, Digikey, etc.
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
I need a bunch of spare 74LS 00/02/04/08/20/30/76/126/174/ yada yada yada
(preferably 8-16 each min.) so I have some to play with for the various projects. :-)
You'll probably want whole "tubes" of each type, then.
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2. How are people keeping their chips organized? Any popular/favorite stackable shelves?
Many people just store them in their antistatic tubes, but you can also use
the 25-, 36-, 50-drawer cabinets. LS TTL is pretty robust, so just avoid
working in a carpeted area or with rubber soled shoes. ;-)
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
3. Any chips on the master list that the hobbist should have ?
Most of the low-numbered chips (general purpose SSI), plus decoders (138),
flipflops (you've already named some of those), and bus interface, etc. As
you start designing something, you'll find out what kinds of chips you
need.
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_7400_series_integrated_circuits
Have fun--TTL logic is very versatile and forgiving. It's like digital
Legos. ;-)
Steven Hirsch
2016-07-20 12:09:02 UTC
Post by Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
1. Where are people (bulk?) ordering TTL 74LS## chips these days from?
I need a bunch of spare 74LS 00/02/04/08/20/30/76/126/174/ yada yada yada (preferably 8-16 each min.) so I have some to play with for the various projects. :-)
2. How are people keeping their chips organized? Any popular/favorite stackable shelves?
3. Any chips on the master list that the hobbist should have ?
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_7400_series_integrated_circuits
I have bought a lot of chips from Unicorn Electronics:

http://www.unicornelectronics.com/

and Jameco:

www.jameco.com

Occasionally I'll run into a rare part that neither carry. DigiKey and Mouser
have a wider selection, albeit at a higher price. Both are starting to
throttle back on stocking of through-hole parts.

If all else fails, find Your Favorite Chinese Vendor on eBay and take your
chances. Some are honest, some are not. Some sell working parts, some sell
counterfeits.
Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'
2016-07-20 14:26:49 UTC
On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 5:09:09 AM UTC-7, Steven Hirsch wrote:

Excellent. Thanks for the info!
I was curious how DigiKey & Mouser prices compared.
Ralph
2016-08-07 14:09:59 UTC
In addition to Mouser and Digi-key, I can recommend debco electronics.

In addition to their web store

They have tubes of 7400 and 4000 series chips for $1 a tube.

I recently bought about 50 pounds (200+ tubes) of chips from them, so I'm good for a while ;-)

Some of them have test markings, indicating they were variously burned in for 24 hours, then tested, etc.
Steven Hirsch
2016-08-07 16:58:49 UTC
Post by Ralph
In addition to Mouser and Digi-key, I can recommend debco electronics.
In addition to their web store
They have tubes of 7400 and 4000 series chips for $1 a tube.
I see what appears to be pricing for individual chips at $1 per unit -
sometimes per pair. What part numbers do you see with per-tube pricing?

But, either way, their prices are good and I'll bookmark them as a supplier.
Thanks for the tip!
Ralph Hyre
2024-06-25 16:45:35 UTC
Post by Ralph
In addition to Mouser and Digi-key, I can recommend debco electronics.
In addition to their web store
They have tubes of 7400 and 4000 series chips for $1 a tube.
I recently bought about 50 pounds (200+ tubes) of chips from them, so I'm good for a while ;-)
Some of them have test markings, indicating they were variously burned in for 24 hours, then tested, etc.
Just an update, debco electronics now seems to be permanently closed.