Apple IIgs NASA Desktop Background Images
TRS-90
2024-06-05 23:13:16 UTC
I always wanted to make interesting desktop backgrounds for the IIgs. Over time, as I had the time, I downloaded 30 or so images from different NASA missions and projects. I resized, converted with Super Convert 4, and made all into SHR images.

Once that was done, I used SC4 again to make them into useable desktop backgrounds (keeping the correct colors). I think they came out pretty neat, and even threw in a bunch from the James Webb Telescope. I've saved those separately with .BKG extenstions. The .BKG images work great with the DeskMaker NDA; I imagine there are other ways of doing it as well.

My question is, where should I host these so others can check them out if interested? My two ideas are GitHub and Asimov. Any other ideas?

I got the idea for doing this from What Is The Apple IIgs? and wanted to try my hand at making another library.

Another question... should I use CiderPress and make a 32MB image with two folders SHR and BKG and host that?

Thanks for reading and I'm glad this group is so much more active now. Sorry I was so whiny in that rant "Is This Group Dead?"

Peace,

TRS-90
mmphosis
2024-06-06 15:51:34 UTC
Post by TRS-90
My question is, where should I host these so others can check them out if
interested?
Asimov is great.

Others:

https://archive.org/

And of course, self-host on your Apple II:

http://www.deater.net/weave/vmwprod/apple2_eth/
TRS-90
2024-06-07 03:05:23 UTC
Post by mmphosis
Asimov is great.
https://archive.org/
http://www.deater.net/weave/vmwprod/apple2_eth/
Ok thanks, this was helpful.
TRS-90
2024-06-30 03:32:13 UTC
I uploaded SPACEPICS.PO to Asimov. I
put it in Incoming... hope that is correct.

I used SuperConvert4 to convert a bunch
of NASA photos (and some from my travels)
into SHR for viewing pleasure and also
into desktop backgrounds that should
work on system 6.0.x.

On my system, I use DeskMaker to set the
backgrounds and Eye to view the SHR
photos. I'm sure there are many other
proggies that do the same.

This is basically for mass-storage users;
in my case I use a CFFA3000. The image is
called SPACEPICS.PO but it will show up
as BRIEFCASE2. Sorry.

I was very much inspired by What Is The
Apple IIgs?

I wish to thank Niek for creating the
AppleSqueezer GS. It would not have
been possible to create so many image
conversions at stock speeds.

Oh, thanks Speccie! The import text file
function was very helpful in posting this!

TRS-90

D Finnigan
2024-06-06 16:10:19 UTC
Post by TRS-90
My question is, where should I host these so others can check them out if
interested? My two ideas are GitHub and Asimov. Any other ideas?
I too recommend Asimov FTP site. It gets mirrored too.